Where to buy a new desk.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by flex22, Aug 10, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Where's good to buy a new desk?

My current one is doing my head in, it's too small.I can fit my laptop on it but there's no room to write notes.

Who makes the best desks?

What would you guys recommend?

Thought I'd ask here seen as though we all use them.

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I bought my last one from office world which is a decent size, though looking at the construction I decided next time it would be cheaper to make my own, all it is made of is 4 sheets of wood. Either that or go to one of the 2nd hand furniture places which always have a few office desks at knock down prices, you never know you might get one with cable management then :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

That's a thought Phil, there's second hand place near to me called the maze.

It's in a huge wasrehouse about three floors and it's full of all sorts, including furniture.Most of it is second hand or it's been repossessed or the owner died, so there's some quality stuff.

I know what you mean by making one.That actually sounds like a very good option that I'd not considered.The one I have now came togeter with my first computer from Tiny (yep, I can't believe I bought from them either).

I can't swing my legs under the desk coz there's this darn section of wood which inhibit me.Also you can't pull the chair right into the desk, again because the bottom of the desk has a panel which prevents this.

I know that sounds petty but it's really hackin me off.It means that either my arms are too far away when I'm typing or that I have to bend my back to type easier.

You've put a thought into my mind now, I'll go and see me Da in a bit and ask him what he reckons, he's better at DIY than me.

Building one might be a better option than getting a new second hand one because my room is in the loft and the door doesn't open that much, so getting a larger desk in here would be difficult.If I made one then I could fit it together in my room.

Thanks.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Agreed about looking at 2nd hand places - I got mine from a place that sells "seconds" - ie slightly damaged stuff. Mine has a small chip out of it on the back corner that you'd never even notice - £25, thank you very much :P

Why do I sense this thread may lead to us posting pictures of our desks ......... :roll:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

noooo nonononono, no pictures of my desk forthcoming here, that would be a bad thing :ukliam2

6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I searched in google to find if there's such a thing as a desk made specificslly for laptops.

I didn't expect to find owt but look at the link at the bottom of this post.

If you look at the picture where the womans sat with her laptop you'll see what I meant earlier.

As her legs are underneath the laptop then she can get closer to the keyboard.
    One thing that annoys me about laptops is the built-in mouse.
    Look again at the pic and the woman looks comfortable enough.However, when she goes to use the mouse herarm has to come away from the rest.
    Therefore there is nothing supporting her arm.

This is what happens to me all the time.I know it sounds trivial but recently I've been getting pains in my lower arm due to this so I need to sort it.

I think I need to get a usb mouse to sort this.I bought the laptop to save on space mainly, so it's basically a desktop replacement.

I unplug it now and then but I always find that I need to go on the net therefore it usually stays on my desk.

PS:I spoke to my Dad about building a desk but he didn't look too keen as he's making a trailer at the minute so he's a bit busy.I'm useless at DIY so I may have to buy a desk.

http://www.essentiallaptopaccessories.com/ and click on the desks link.

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've decided that the main problem I have is simply with the positioning of the mouse.

I've decided to get a cordless mouse.

Any suggestions on a good cordless mouse.I've just been looking at dabs.com and there's a good logitech one for £38.

Do you think that's too much?

Let us know what you'd recommend.

Thanks.

8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Flex, I've been using a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse for years now and can't fault them, the only reason I'd change the mouse now would be to get an optical version. I don't know if the price is good but I can say that if the Logitech kit can stand my abuse for that length of time it must be good quality :)

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've gone for it and ordered the logitech cordless miniscroll optical mouse :D

I've got my sisters desk in my room.She said I could have it.It's not much, basically three pieces of wood glued together but it'll take the weight of my laptop.

There's leg room underneath so I can get closer to the keyboard.

Once I have the mouse then I think I'll be more comortable while working on my computer (which lets face it, is usually hours).

I couldn't really afford £40 but well your gonna die one day so blow it.I can pay off my debts when I'm a high flying, super duper, can do anything possible MCSE Administrator with a hideously high wage :D

SUCCESS this way please :arrow:

Thanks for the help people

10. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Just had a look at the pics of the desk, and to me it just looks like a lap tray, we have laptrays in the house for the kids to use for there tea or to use when drawing or even there homework, and they even use the laptop on one, the only difference is that they do not have the rest at the front and the price...............£3.99

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346