Where should I be looking?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by bazzawood30, Feb 15, 2011.

1. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I have been looking on loads of IT job sites but so far no luck. I have a load of certs but on experience, I have been looking for an entry level job but even level 1 helpdesk jobs want experience. I have applied for loads of jobs from the sites listed below.

BCSrecruit
    CWjobs
    ITjobs board
    Technojobs

Where is the best place to find the first job? Should i avoid job sites and send my cv cold?

Advice (And job offers) please.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  2. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

my advice? try to send your cv directly to IT companies, especially when they have "careers" on their website

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Have you tried not including things like the CCNA on your CV? We keep telling people that it's not going to help for entry level roles, but people never listen.

Also, are you sure that it isnt that your CV is bad?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Cv with personal details removed

Attached Files:

5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

It's not bad. Although there are things I would change (Such as personal pronouns).

I'd also lose Personal Interests (as its irrelevant really at the CV stage), and Referees (dont supply them unless you are offered the job, otherwise you open up your referees to being harassed.

Achievements needs work. its too wordy really - and vague - "about 3 years ago" isnt particularly good. Either be specified (eg "in 2008"), or dont mention it. Also, what you have described isnt really an achievement, you should really use this section to detail specific achievements that you have achieved.

I'd also remove the CCNA entirely, its not an entry level certification, and is more likely to be hampering your chances.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Although I haven't reviewed your CV, the advice that Fergal gave is what I typically recommend, particularly with regards to Interests, References, specificity of dates, and the removal of higher-level certifications for lower-level positions.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Hi

I agree that you should remove the Cisco Certified Network Associate but leave the Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician on; I would also change the order and put the A+ at the top of the list and the ccent at the bottom.
    Have you tried speaking to Agencies directly i.e.: face to face, We have a lot of Datacom guys who work alongside us at present on various projects, A few of them had no prior experience before joining Datacom. Competition is fierce at the moment I think the face to face approach would work better for you especially with your security clearance.

You may only get a few days a month contracting with a agency but every day is more experience for your C.V

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with the above plus you need to keep trying, you may end up sending out lots of cover letters until you even get an interview, you may have to go through lost of interviews before you get a job. You just need to be persistant.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

What county do you live in Bazza?

...and Referee's is spelt incorrectly on your CV. To me your CV is very Cisco focused and may not be ideal for a 1st line Helpdesk. I think you need to emphasise more your skills with MS based operating systems both with regards to troubleshooting and configuration. Move MCDST to the top of your certifications list. Any server exposure should be detailed (even if you feel it is not worth listing) along with any Customer service experience.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  10. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I am in Southport, Merseyside.

11. greenbrucelee

Are you applying for jobs at your experience level or there abouts? There are plenty of jobs in your part of the world. Try living where I do its mainly farming and manufacturing.

12. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

To befair i was aiming a bit high because i had to because of salary thats why I had my CCNA on my cv. I have now changed tack I can get a redundancy so i can take a pay cut and take the entry level job.

13. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

So this would be better.

Attached Files:

14. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Sorry how rude, Thanks for the advice so far.

15. greenbrucelee

I bet you will have better luck now.

16. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Ah, If you had been in the Midlands I know of a few places that are looking. I see there are some on reed.co.uk (who I have always had luck with) - maybe worth a quick look.

17. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

I still think MCDST should be in the most prominent position. That after all will be the Cert most likely to land you an entry role.

18. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

The only interview I have had was for a network engineer they did not care about experience just my CCNA and security clearance but i was able to just knock on the right door and put my cv in the HR officers hand. I did not get it but was down to the last 4.

19. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I could do the Midalnds my sister lives in Brum will have a look.

20. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

cert order changed to

• Microsoft Certified Desktop Support
    • CompTIA A+
    • CompTIA Network+
    • Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician
    • European Computer Driving licence