Where in your house is the main phone socket?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Sep 19, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok so since the main topic is about poor old Missy's internet connection I thought I would start on a poll about where your main socket for the phone is located....remember its the main socket and not counting any extension sockets you may have in the house...vote away people :D :biggrin

EDIT: well its not exactly a poll so if u guys wana move it to another location feel free...:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

My Internet connection goes thru my NTL Set Top Box, so my main connection is in the living room, right underneathe the TV!

3. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Mine is in the lounge next to the stairs ;-) might aswell have been in the basement :-)

Missy

Certifications: 15 credits NOCN Art and Design,Portrait.
    WIP: NOCN in Art and Design Advanced
  4. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Well, I have a cable modem through my ISP(for my high-speed connection) so I guess the phone socket is not relevant. :oops:

WIP: N+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

We only have one little socket in the kitchen, and it's not even what you'd call a BT master socket, but as it's the only one in the house, I guess that's it ! :rolleyes:

btw, moved your Thread in here, Noel

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

My socket is just inside the front door and my pc is in the livingroom, so that ment a long extension, but never mind the wife is happy.:D

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

BT have kindly put a socket which is blanked off (but live) in the living room and another out in the hall. This is the one we use. I ran a proper extension upstairs for my router.
    I bought a staple gun that only does BT cable as most of my broadband installs involve fixing up an extension as well. :D

By the way if anyone is interested/had problems with their phones BT use a rating called REN. Most phones/faxes have a rating on them usually 1. A household line can support a REN rating of 4. After this you experience bizarre things like a phone ringing all the time or one furthest away not working. :eek:

I recently took a look at a set up that was randomly loosing ADSL connectivity to the excahnge which turned out to be a faulty old phone.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

funny you should mention REN Boyce cos we had customer calling up when I worked at the faults department in BT with more than 4 devices plugged into 1...yes 1 phone socket...so you can have a phone, you ADSL modem, Sky and alarm all connected to the same line but anything after that your asking for it...there was one call I had where this kid told me his mum had 5...yes 5 MAIN telephone sockets not 1 main socket and 4 extensions but 5 MAIN sockets each with their own telephone numbers...and guess where they were using the internet up in the god damn loft!!! 5 main telephone points and the internet is in the loft!!!! I felt sorry for the kid like...even he couldnt understand why his mum had that many...and they werent even running a business...but perhaps it was a case of more money than sense! but we always tell people that if they wana use more than 4 devices to a phone line they will need a REN booster...can be purchased from the likes of Dixons and Maplins...

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Are the REN boosters any good? :dry

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

ditto, but i have two identical sockets in my livingroom and main bedroom, but only one phone as i skimped on the second and it broke! :oops:

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Ours is in the living room on the frontside of the house. We have a cluster of sockets, one is a Telephone POTS socket, Cable TV Coax BNC & Cable Broadband Coax BNC...all connects to the main Telewest cable coming into the house!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

To be honest I got no idea...never used one myself really...

but I have two ext sockets in my room....since its a 6 bedroom house (and I am the only one left!!) the main socket is downstairs in the hall way. The thing is I think we have both BT and Telewest in the building cos the other ext box in my room doesnt work and its sitting next to the Telewest broadband point....plus in the front room downstairs there are 2 main Telewest phone points which are no longer in use but I wont be using them for the phone only broadband...

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mine is in the kitchen/informal lounge (as they call it here).

I ran an extension to my office which is at the other end of our house and used BT gear I already had to do it. It confused the hell out of the guy who came to install ISDN :biggrin I denied any knowledge, as it isn't legal to do your own thing here. You have to be certified before you are allowed to touch anything electro mechanical.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

BT master socket in is the hallway but as I'm with NTL it doesn't work. The main NTL socket is in the lounge right next to my PC (when I was on dialup)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I was fortunate enough to get a new master socket (NT4) installed when I first had ADSL installed back when BT had to do the installs and stuff, and they did it nice and properly :)

phone extensons all run over a cat5 cableplant wired throughout, dont use the home phone much, but my skype dualphone (DECT+Skype) is plugged in the bedroom as it needs to be in the computer too

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You have a computer in your bedroom :eek:

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

What's wrong with that ? :blink

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

sure is, over in a corner, primary desktop and server, and 3 LCDs
    remainder of servers are in a broom cupboard :)

should be moving it to the 'office' as soon as i finish making it an 'office' and not a 'spare bedroom' lol

dunno how i'll sleep without the dim whir of 12 fans and 2 laptops! lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, I would appear to be missing out then, as I've only got the portable TV, radio/alarm and a trouser press for me bordies :D

Something will have to go in order to make room for the bedroom PC. Let me see, well I could easily do without the walk in wardrobe and put some racks in there instead or the spa takes up a lot of room in the en suite. Not sure if the misses would be too impressed but she is the one that wants to turn my music room into a gym :eek: I dunno women :dry

Pete

20. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

and what with the weather and all.....you must be suffering pete! i've got a bedromm desktop too but only because it's the only "quiet" place in the house to study! :)

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+