where has my jpeg gone?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I used to have a photo (it is saved but cannot get to it at the moment) as one of my desktop displays. Where can i find it? I haven't deleted it, but just changed my desktop image and now it is no longer displayed as an option.

Si

Edit;

Tried C:\Windows\web\wallpaper but it isn't there...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

tried refreshing your screen?

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

yeah i did. It must be somewhere otherwise Windows wouldn't be able to use it- i can't find it using a wildcard and .jpeg

Si

4. Mr.Cheeks

and are you definately sure now that you have not deleted it off?

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

no. all i did was change the desktop and by default Windows only shows the ones it ships with.

Si

6. Mr.Cheeks

not sure mate, have you check my docs? plus try the other file extensions like bmp, jpg, gif and what nots..

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This can get confusing Boyce. In the past desktop wallpaper was always bitmap images and they were stored in the Windows directory. Then Active desktop came to pass and then you could show web based content on your desktop (Win98) this meant that if you had active desktop enabled you could show jpgs as wallpaper.

So, you might want to search in windows or elsewhere for a bitmap picture *.bmp

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Pete,

tried searching for all the common file extensions but unable to locate. Windows must have put it somewhere because it was my desktop for quite a while!

Si

9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Did you set it through a different app (such as Firefox)? Maybe try looking in the Application Settings folder.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

baba,

no, i just browsed for it and selected it. It might have been on my network drive because i know i haven't deleted it and I cannot find it within this machine, although Windows must have done something with it to use it all that time! Just in the middle of an experiment. Will report back.

Si

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

As an experiment, i changed my desktop to a picture that was on a flash drive only.
    I then restarted the machine and the desktop stays where it should be and is still an option within desktop settings. I could find this image because i knew the file name. As soon as i changed the desktop to a generic windows one, guess what? The file is no-where to be seen.

Moral of the story is make sure you have copies of everything.

Si