where do i start?

Discussion in 'A+' started by manyb, Sep 30, 2009.

1. manyb

manyb Bit Poster

hi everyone, i want to do my A+ but it seems confusing as hell to know where to begin.

im finding it difficult because of all this new 2009 exam thing.

so can some one recommend me a book and some good practice exams (or a book with some good practice exams:D), cus im looking to get it within the next week or two so waiting till march for a new edition aint an option.

and are the exams 271 and 272? or are they something different.

and is one a practical test or are they both on a computer (like multiple choice)

the reason i need to take the exam urgently is cus i got a new job and the company is requesting i take the A+. i've been building computers for a while so hopefully it wont take me that long.

any help you guys can give would be a godsend.

2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

The most recent released version of the exams are numbered 220-601 and 220-602. I highly recommend Mike Myers All-in-One book. James Pyles (a member here - Tripwire) also has a good book titled PC Technician Street Smarts. For practice exams, I'm heavily biased as I work for Boson, but we offer products for both the 601 and 602 exams.

3. manyb

manyb Bit Poster

4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

271 and 272 are Microsoft exams for an MCDST certification (for Windows XP).

Good luck with the study, Mike Meyers seems to be the best you can get.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, the most recent ones are 220-701 and 220-702.

That said, 220-601 and 220-602 (and the other two A+ exams nobody takes) are still available until at least February.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonJosh

As Michael said, the 220-701 and 702 are the 2009 versions of the exams. The 220-601 and 602 are the 2006 versions of the exams.

7. manyb

manyb Bit Poster

so if i want want to take the exams in the next week or 2 what should i take the 701/2 or the 601/2.
    cus im finding it hard to find study material for the 701/2 exams.

does it actually matter?

8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

It doesn't really matter at all which version you go for, employers are more interested in the fact you've got it than the particular pair of exams taken.

I'd go for the 2006 exams, as you said study material for the new version is very thin on the ground at the moment.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's because the 701/702 exams were just released. Takes time for us writers to create training materials for stuff! Doesn't happen automagically. When we write training products, we know as much as you guys do about the exam... we're not given any inside info about the exams before they're released.

If you can do them before February, do 601/602. If you can't, do 701/702. Simple as that, really.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. manyb

manyb Bit Poster

my bad i thought books were released along with new exams

11. BosonJosh

That's the goal of most authors and publishers, but they typically don't get a preview of the exam before it becomes available; authors don't see the exam any earlier than you do in most cases. As a result, you'll get a better book/training material if the author has a chance to take the exam and find out exactly what's covered so they can ensure proper coverage. At any rate, if you think you can get the exams finished within the next few months, you'll have more material to work with if you take the 2006 versions of the exams.

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Since BosonJosh mentioned my name, I'll just use this opportunity to plug my new book, which was planned to appear on or near the release of CompTIA's 2009 A+ exam: PC Technician Street Smarts.

Certifications: A+ and Network+