Where do i start ??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jazzy jazz, Jun 17, 2009.

1. jazzy jazz

jazzy jazz Bit Poster

Hi there people this is my first post!

Im 24 years old and have a degree in computing studies.

My problem is i spent too much time at uni living it up and left it to late to get a decent degree mark. I ended up with a third. I am now stuck in a job i hate.

Im looking at doing the following a+, n+, prince2, itil and maybe ccna & mcse. ( I know what you guys are thinking im getting ahead of myself).

Just wanna know your thoughts where i should start and what you think about training companies such as joskos, advent, computeach, justit etc ........................

I have pretty good knowlegde when it comes to IT.

I havent ever bothered applying for a IT job as i know my third degree is a big negative.

Please help !!!!!!!!!

The time has come for me to get up and make things happen for myself in the IT World

Certifications: A+, N+, S+, ITIL V3, MCDST
    WIP: 70-682
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm not going to repeat my thoughts on gaining higher level qualification/certs (eg MCSE) without the relevant experience :rolleyes:, however...

That is a very bad excuse. I have a normal degree (unclassified) and I've worked my way up from 1st level to IT manager. So having a 3rd degree is no excuse. In fact alot of my counterparts that I know, that are alot better than me, do not even have degrees.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Sorry mate but I agree with Ken here. Any honours degree is quite an achievement and what you do after you get it is entirely down to your drive and ambition IMO. Mine is a BSc and I've just landed a job at one of the biggest global companies in the world (if I can do it anyone can). I don't want to put a downer on you by saying that by the way, just point out as Ken did that you shouldn't worry about having a 3rd. You should look at doing your A+ and N+ first I'd say then think about getting the MCDST.
    On another note I do understand where your coming from. I currently work for IBM (not for long :) ) and my friend was told by an agency to omit his degree from his CV because it was a 2.2! He got the job because he had experience gained at 1st, then 2nd level and by this time he'd gained a few certs (Not CCNA or MCSE, he got those while with us). He's now worked his way up to management where his degree is always on his CV so I guess its worked out in the end. Best of luck and don't worry, just make sure you work hard from now on (not as much partying!!!) Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. jazzy jazz

jazzy jazz Bit Poster

i havent even tried to apply for jobs. i dont know where to start what agencies do u reccommend

Certifications: A+, N+, S+, ITIL V3, MCDST
    WIP: 70-682
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Use all of them; use physical ones, use online ones, use local newspapers, the national newspapers, the JobcentrePlus, network with professional associations and networking sites, etc...

If you limit yourself to only a handful, then you may miss out on some jobs...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Seetec Ron

Seetec Ron New Member

We spend a great deal of time getting people into their first IT position and the biggest obsticle to overcome is experience. The key is to not set your sites too high initially and aim for jobs that do not pay that well but offer a wide experience base. We have found that schools/educational establishments make excellent springboards for those new to IT as a career as the experience gained is wide (lots of large server networks and loads of clients with varying requirements) yet the pay is not good enough to attract seasoned pros in IT. Many of our students normally can get a a foot in the door with schools or small operators after just one MCP.

It is also good to have a plan in terms of certification as to where you want to go and what field of IT you want to end up in and then study towards that goal slowly and steadily.

It is very much a chicken and egg situation but essentially get some basic key knowledge by working towards a certification, a client technology is quite good as although it is biased towards a desktop environment it covers some good background knowledge on server technologies to ease you in and make sure you get some gear to create lab scenarios, either VMWARE or some cheap ebay sourced hardware. All MSPress books carry 120 day evaluation copies of either client and server software. Oh and a good CV helps. If necessary get help with that as with a bad one you will not be able to get a foot in the door. With a degree on your CV that should help quite a bit. You just need to get some experience on there.

Certifications: Comptia A+ MCSE CCNA
    WIP: MCITP