where as my account gone?

Discussion in 'A+' started by fastrhino, Dec 9, 2005.

1. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

I have added extra accounts to my xp pro system, using add user.

The new accounts are for my wife, which for some reason had to be a adminastrator account and the second account was just to test out xp's extra file securities etc, this was a limited account.

my own personal account was the administrator account and was password protected.

while checking the new accounts i logged in and out of all accounts, no problems.

i then closed the system down and went to bed.

during the night pixies have been in, because my account no longer appears on the welcome screen.

where is it? and why did i have to make the account holder an administrator too. i have checked again i have xp professional

could i have installed it wrong? or could i have dodgy copy? :cry:

help,,,,,,,, :(

WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If at the "select user" screen you do ctrl-alt-del twice you will get the old (win2k) style login. Try logging in with that. Does it work?

Do I understand that you don't have an account for yourself, but always used the admin account? If so I think XP home insists on there being one account that has admin rights other than 'Administrator'.

XP pro uses the terms 'standard', 'restricted' and 'other', whereas XP home uses the terms "Computer administrator' and 'Limited'. This is why I think you have a 'Home' system. :biggrin

How did you check the version?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

if I understand you correctly you had only the admin a/c
    then you made more accounts.

That being the case

1) XP requires one other a/c to be Admin level so no surprises as to you being forced to make the first one admin level.
    2) Once you create another a/c the administrator a/c disappears from the welcome screen.
    You can disable the welcome screen and log on normally or you can stop using the admin a/c and create a new a/c for yourself (preferred choice) or hack the registry to allow the admin a/c to display in XP welcome screen... (instructions at www.petril.co.il)

Hope that helps..

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

CP Pro uses the term limited and administrator when you create accounts through the control panel. Doing so using computer management dispenses with those terms.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. hbroomhall

Er - well mine didn't - I just checked before I wrote that! I tried using the control panel 'users' entry and got the three options I mentioned. I didn't try with the management method.

I fully admit I'm not an expert in this area, and it is possible that things like different SP levels and membership of domains might change this.

Harry.

6. hbroomhall

Reading your other thread it does seem that you have Pro!

I haven't seen 'Limited' appear on Pro - but I don't have a lot of experience of Pro compared to Home.

Harry.

7. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

ok,,,,,here's how i sorted it, i went into computer managment and added my administrator account to the user list and then removed my wife from the administrator list she has limited access and now i appear back on the welcome screen... :D

WIP: A+
  8. hbroomhall

Now I'm home and able to look at my books the answer seems to be that the machine at work I tested this with is on a Domain, and this changes the way accounts are created!

You learn something new every day!

Harry.

9. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

On a domain the switch user screen is not used which is what I think Fastrhino was talking about! :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes I think so too. XP does get confusing, I would bin it and install Windows 2000 8)

:p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)