Where are you at in your study towards you current certification?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by simongrahamuk, May 23, 2006.

1. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Agree with The Geek on this one – After working with computers / users all day I just want to go home / pub and look at the big screen with brightly coloured images.

Up here --------------------> on the right it says I am studying towards MCDST and Network+. This has been put on hold due to various factors, some work and some personal.

At work I am on the ITIL course at the moment as the boss wants us to know the business side of IT as we move into the SLA era. Just done the overview and now we need to document what we thought of it and how it would be beneficial to us in our ICT roles… blah blah.

Not sure how long that will take as the training department here don’t let you know you on a course until 15 minutes before it begins.

As for future steps, more than likely looking for a new job. This time next year it is a real possibility that my company will have been bought out and therefore the IT services may no longer be required. But it could go the other way and they may keep us on and the role maybe increased… so I will hang around.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I've finished! (For the moment)

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I've been "nearly" MCSA for about 3 years now, and actively doing nothing about it (I only need 218 to get it ) !! The closest I've been to an IT cert in all that time is running this place.

Currently I'm on a ILM managent course through work, due to complete in July, but not really relevant here, so I'll get back to not studying that 218 then :oops:

PS - Good luck to all above, and special thanks to Cheekmaster for the thanks. You're more than welcome - we just run the place, and you already showed your appreciation anyway :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I may have showed my appreciated by becoming to CF but i wanted to show it to the members aswell, if you know what i mean, you can never be too grateful... ...well i cant.

5. d4nsco

d4nsco Bit Poster

Ive started A+..(second week). i am doing a distance learning course and hoping to do it in 8-10 months. after this i hope to go on towards a network+ then CCNA. then i will see where i can take it from there.

Certifications: none at the moment!!!!!
    WIP: A+ then onto ccna hopefully
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Studying the MCDST now (70-271 & 70-272). It wasn't something I was planning to do after the 70-290 as I wanted to get my MCSA. I had an informal interview last week to do part-time lecturing at a local college and the MCDST is one of their most popular courses, so I need to get it before September.

I don't see it being too much of a problem though. Having tried a few test questions and looked at the objective, it looks like a bit of light reading compared to the 70-290. :)

Finances allowing, I'll take both exams in the next few weeks, dunno if I can afford it at the moment or not though.

I guess after the MCDST I will aim for the 70-291. I want to make sure I prepare really well for that one, so I expect it to take me several months.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Jester

Jester New Member

at the A+ exam stage, Recieved the A+ mock exam, read through a few pages of multiple choice questions and thought hey this isnt so bad.

Then Read the written part and nearly cried at some of the questions asked.

Question to myself; did i actually learn that part of the course or did i miss it some how? :rolleyes:

Who knows but it certainatly is an eye opener to the fact that you think you have done enough learning and then they send you that.

thinks alot of hard revision is on its way.

WIP: A+, N+, (CISCO)CCNA.
  8. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

Still trying to find time to do 292 and 296, but after doing 30 odd exams in the last few years I really can't muster the enthusiasm at the moment.... Instead of spending my spare time revising for certs I am doing a part time archaeology degree which allows me to forget about IT when I'm not at work (as far as you can!)

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  9. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Doing great, wanted to take my time and pass A+ first time so i wouldn't feel down and throw it away. Now to put the real pressure on and start the fun stuff. :)

I'm hopeing to take the Network+ exam beginning of July/Mid July and then progress onto my MCP and then see where i am at... depends if i'm in a job or not.

Same as above really, depends on what job i get whether it will involve Cisco equipment or just purely Microsoft based, also depends if a company is willing to pay for me to do exams...

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  10. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

I started my course of training July 1st 2005 with skill-strain!

Completed the A+ training, but didn't take the exam for two reasons; Can't afford to pay the exam fee, have not gained 6 months practical experience (which is apparently usefull/required).

Currently taking the training for the N+, just got to Section 2, Part B. :)

I have yet to ponder my CCNA training, but I think that is six months away, at the rate I'm going. :oops:

Incidentally, before I get to taking my CCNA exam, I will/should be qualified for my Heavy Goods Vehicle Licence, so I can earn some decent money. :D

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It would certainly be usefull, but it most certainly isn't required.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. Jester

Jester New Member

heh was just gonna say, its virtually impossible to get an engineering job without some sort of certification, so how and where would you gain that 6 month experience?

WIP: A+, N+, (CISCO)CCNA.
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just finished the MCP 70-270 book and now writing up notes and studying the cram session pdf. I’m also messing around with NTFS permissions and user state migration tools in the lab for a better understanding of how they work.

Looking at the bigger picture I hope to be MCSE certified in two years This is a rough date though as I’m doing long hours at work so sometimes studying has to take a back seat.

After that it’s onto CCNA and CheckPoint certification. Looks like I’ll have to clear some space for new books! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. mlota

mlota New Member

Just started out studying for an MCSD, my first target is 70-315.

I've found the best approach to be to write out a training plan which outlines goals, outcomes and timeframes. My employer suggested I create a list of SMART objectives. At first I thought "pah!" what a waste of time, however this has proved to be most useful as I now have an outline of my goals and timeframes of exactly when I would like to achieve them. I guess it just gives a good sense of focus, rather than just doing a bit here and a bit there.

For me I'm quite competent in .net but I would like to have the formal qualification to help my future career plans :biggrin

Cheers

Certifications: (BA:Hons) Multimedia Graphics
    WIP: MCSD
  15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

dont know if unemployedstudent was refering it to like this but:

when you study for a cert you are *supposed* to get lots of hands on to make up for experience reqiurements and to practice what you learn so it sticks inside! :biggrin Thus this could be his 6 months practical experience while doing the A+! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics