When you study for a cert does all your free-time go into preparation?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

As in you will pretty much just focus on getting the cert and put all other intrests to the side? I find taking this method to make me lose motivation when its all Im doing..

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I try an knock them out as fast as possible, normally between 1 week and 1 month, longest would be 3 months.

This makes it easier for me to remember things without doing revision which has never been my thing.

It can be pretty bad sometimes, sometimes I spent 8-10 hour days full-time for a month to pass some exams between jobs. I went though a 1000+ page study guide in a month, and I am not a quick reader. Reading 35-50 pages a day is about max, along with some exercises and tests.

I'm not really convinced any of it is really a useful exercise.

I favor taking MOOC classes now and doing the assignments, I find I tend to learn more.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ditto, I got for an all out approach too as my memory isn't the best. Once I've done an amount of study where I feel there's a chance I could pass, I book the exam for a few weeks ahead as I'm the type who needs that pressure to commit to hardcore study, so prior to that I'll of done at least an hour a day, up to three say. Once an exam is booked I'll do this plus eight hours on a Saturday and a Sunday, possibly up to four hours a day. It's no life really when I get into these exam moods but I get a huge sense of achievement when I pass. In my line of work (infrastructure and tin) I know for a fact it's all helped my career so I feel I did all I could do to better myself and stand out from the crowd. I still have failures in exams and career but I know it not because I didn't try hard enough, it just wasn't my day

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Most free time if I can – think the longest was 3 months when I was doing the MCSE on Server 2003.

Too much work on just now so not really getting a good run at studying to take a cert – got a few books on the go through to keep up to date.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs