When will you stop?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Rob1234, May 3, 2013.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Indeed, four of my courses were through coursera and free, another was with the OU, 3 others were independent courses I paid for. The rest was self study.

Amazing things happening in the MOOC space at the moment, shouldn't miss doing some of the courses if you are interested in computing.

2. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Hmmm..... Might go for this Networking one on Coursera - https://www.coursera.org/course/comnetworks

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I think a better question to me is when will i start!!!! Keep delaying CCNP.....if i haven't done it by teh end of this year i am a mug!!

Same at my gaffe. Anyone who takes up an architect position is required to pass this TOGAF shortly after.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Cheers mate, always good to hear this is the case at other places. We have a Wintel specific TA role at our place which is looking like the way to go for me because I can stay under the same management who have looked after me to be fair. I'm really going for the tangents today sorry :S

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Stop taking certs? Unlikely, I've slowed down (by my standards) over the years, but I still turned out a 2012 MCSA and MCSE in under 4 months so far (and aim to have two more MCSE by the summer)

I train to learn, not for the job, not always even technical stuff (although I'm mainly self taught for all my IT stuff), I'm enrolled in MIT EdX, multiple coursera and other online classes
    Recently finished a welding and fine woodworking class and a tier 2 motorcycle maintenance class is coming up
    I still manage to do plenty of cross discipline parter classes

I think I love learning more than anything, I always have, although I was never one for school, academia never really catered to my kind :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Sounds good. Is this something you are going for in the near future, or just when the position arises?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Erm I think I could go for it now, I'm just enjoying the BAU overtime at the minute tbh mate. On call etc. It will have to go eventually tho because I can't depend on it. Its just a stop gap for this wedding I've signed up for in 9 months :S

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

I'm taking a break from certs at the moment after taking 3 yrs to gt MCSA Win7 and Server 2008. It ate into my life quite a bit and I want some ME time. Do I want to do more certs? not really. Will I do more - yes
    Why more certs? two big reasons for me
    1. It puts pressure on my bosses to pay me more :)
    2. After being made redundant (as a Business Analyst), it didn't matter one jot how good I was at being a BA, all job specs going wanted lots of certs. Had I done more BA / Project management certs at the time, maybe things would be different but maybe not. One thing is certain - I never want to be in the situation I was before, where I have the skills but not the "badge" to prove it and thus dismissed from job at the cv sift. You never think it's going to happen to you. until it does. Thus, I will look to get at least one new relevant cert a year - just in case the worst happens again.

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
    rocdamike likes this.
  9. Chief

Chief Bit Poster

Interesting reading peoples responses... For me, I'll do them as a way to prove myself, even if its just to myself, on whatever technologies I'm interested in supporting in my career. I stopped for a long time, so I have some catching up to do. Up to today I was a MCSA (2003), and since this year the 70-297 exam sunsets, I went ahead a took it, bumping up my MCSA to a MCSE... why didn't I do that years ago? I failed that test twice and said hell with it. lol

Now I'm starting on my 70-649. I already have my OS, (Vista, don't tease), so that + 70-647, and I'll update to MCITP Enterprise Administrator. I was actually intending to do Security+ next, but when I realized the upgrade path would expire the end of July, I changed my plan. So, MS, CompTIA, and last but never least... Citrix... still sitting on my old Citrix Metaframe cert. I'm going to go with XenApp 6.5 for Windows 2008, that's what I'm used to so it shouldn't be too bad.

One of the big things that changed was the Navy began providing me with access to online training... pretty good stuff. I'm finding that when I read and hear something at the same time, it helps me to retain it a lot better.

Okay, gonna quit before the tl;dr starts kicking in.

Certifications: MCSE (2003), MSTS Vista, S+, N+, A+, CCA (Metaframe), MCSE (NT4)
    WIP: MCSA (2008/2012), CCA (XenApp 6.5, XenServer 6), CCNA (Not sure, but probably +Security)