When will the MCSA on Server 2003 retire?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by fatp, Sep 2, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I am currently doing the A+ and Network+ to use them as electives for the MCSA on Windows Server 2003 in the future.

When will this certification retire? or the 270-70, 270-90, 270-91 MCP's?

and what replaces it ... Is it the MCITP: Server Admin on 2008? Can I use my Comptia exams as electives for this then...

FatP :)

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

It won't be around indefinitely but certainly for some years yet as it's effectively part of the MCSE

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I am talking about the MCSA not the MCSE! Please read again...

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The certification itself will never retire - once you're an MCSE on 2003, you'll always be an MCSE on 2003. However, the exams themselves will, at some point, retire.

Nobody knows when the exams will retire - Microsoft won't reveal that information until the exams are a year or less away from retirement.

That said, I would guess that it will be at least three years before the 2003 exams retire, considering the 2000 exams just retired a few months back. No idea as to when 70-270 will retire, since 70-620 also fulfills the client OS portion.

Roughly, yes.

Not directly, no. You can get the MCSA on 2003 with the CompTIA exams, then take the upgrade exam, which will give you credit for 70-640 and 70-642.

If you are getting the MCITP: SA from scratch, then no, the CompTIA exams cannot be used; there are no electives for the MCITP:SA.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

yes - post edited but still true !

6. BosonMichael

Neither will retire. Before you get upset with UKDarkstar, realize that this information is on Microsoft's Web site, ready for the taking... for those who will take the time to look.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Thanks BM for clarifying - I was trying to do six things at once but you've explained it much better than I was attempting to :biggrin

8. BosonMichael

I repped you for taking unnecessary heat. :)

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Thanks m8, no worries.
    I was concentrating on something far more important - eating vanilla ice cream with choccy sauce and trying to stop the cat from nicking it ! :p

10. SAVOJR

SAVOJR New Member

It's obvious that MS certificates that you get passed stays forever -but i think question was meant "how long it is possible to do Server 2003 related exams?"

As we know that 2008 versions are available and there is people who are "in phase" to get MCSA / MCSE.

So, do you mean that i can take lets say 70-298 in year 2042?

--
    I guess that it needs monitoring of this site to stay updated?
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx

Or is there mentioned something about MCSA/E somewhere that i couldnt find?

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003, 70-299, 3*F-Secure
    WIP: 70-293,-94,-98 & Comptia Security+
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, why not introduce yourself here and be a part of this community :)

The exams will be around, based on passed experiences, approx until support from MS stops. With this in mind, I'm assuming that you'll be able to take the exams for another 5 years.

However please be aware that is an assumption, for up to date info see this page. MS will inform you of exam retirements 1 year before they retire.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. BosonMichael

I already answered the question:

Considering Microsoft retired the Windows 2000 exams last year, it is unlikely that you will be able to take 70-298 in 2042. If I had to guess, I'd guess (the key word here is GUESS) that they will be available for another 4 years. That said, it's entirely up to Microsoft - they could pull them tomorrow, or leave them indefinitely.

13. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

This is a rough thread.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  14. SAVOJR

SAVOJR New Member

Thanks. I allready found what i needed to know, and cause theres so much to learn i think i spend my time doing that instead of hanging here.. . .

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003, 70-299, 3*F-Secure
    WIP: 70-293,-94,-98 & Comptia Security+