When studying for a cert how many individual resources do you use?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Got some devastating news today, my boss is making me get A+ certified.. and I brought the whole thing on myself by asking if the company could fund some Ciso training..why hes come back with Comptia A+ is a mystery.

He’s given me access to CBT Nuggets (which I will not be using). I have the Exam Cram book and Udemy Mike Meyers videos which I will top off with professor messer and ITProTV videos.. hes given me till December to get the 901 done as I said I dont want to sit both at the same time and gave reasons which he understood. He’s made out if I dont do it then its not a big deal but with December being around probation review time I know this will go against me.

My question is.. am I using to many resources? How many do you guys usually use per cert?

2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I usually just use the recommend book and one other book.

Certifications: A few.
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ah well, best brush up on your SCSI adapters :wink:

4. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

it's not like using too many would harm your chances...

You have some experience, you should fly through it. Not done A+ but Meyers book for N+ was one of the best/easiest to read and learn from. Yeah there's a bit of stuff to remember but really not that much. Done N+ with the book only and didn't feel I need anything else.

go through one resource, find some practice exam and see how you feel.

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

The Mike Meyers all in one and some practice exams were enough for me to pass a few years back. A book supplemented by videos and possibly practice exams should get you through. Ideally get some hands on with hardware too. It really helps solidify things. I passed the A+ without ever really touching a PC, but in hindsight it would have made it much easier.

6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

this looks like a dump site to me...? I could be wrong but it says "real exam questions" so alarm bells are ringing. Can honestly say I'd rather fail than use dumps I advise you not to use them either, if you get a job based on a cert you have taken and you've cheated, you boss will expect you to have a certain level of knowledge, so when he tells you to go to the server room and configure X, you wont have a clue what you are doing, thus you lose your job.

JK2447 likes this.
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good lad. Always better to fail than cheat. People who brain dump are just kidding themselves. I do not see the point of cheating and if anything I'm proud that I did it the right way and failed 70-291 two or three times. Kinda like getting scars in the cert world. Made me tough ha ha ha yes I've had a shandy I admit it!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I like your boss :)

Just to give a different view on this – I get asked for Cisco\Microsoft training all the time. I have put some of the guys on fully paid training with a free exam but none of them have taken the exam and I have not seen any real improvement on how they are doing their jobs. Not for the amount of cash that has been invested anyway.

For the A+ the Mike Meyers book is enough – get the exam done and it will show your boss that they are getting something back from investing in you and hopefully the Cisco certs will follow from there.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs