When is the best time of the year to be job hunting?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zcapr17, Dec 2, 2006.

1. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

Does anyone have a feel for how the IT job market changes throughout the year? I'll like to move jobs at the optimum time to maximise my new salary.:D

z.

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

one thing for sure, it isn't this time of the year...

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I don't think that there really is a best time of year for jobs in IT. There are people wanted all of the time.

Like the majority of the jobs market though things tend to die down around the Christmas period, and pick up again in the new year.

8)

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Switch jobs simply because of salary and you might find yourself in a bad situation... horrible hours or workload, bad manager, temperamental co-workers, etc. Not to mention the "job hopper" title you'll begin to acquire by frequently switching jobs. I speak from experience - I almost didn't get hired for a *really* good job because of voluntarily switching employment 4 times in 3 years - that was their only concern about me. I ended up staying there for the next 4 years.

My advice to you is to switch for increased responsiblity or because there's a bad situation at your employer... not simply because of salary (unless it's been years since your last raise and you're severely underpaid compared to others at your experience level and length of time in IT).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!