When interviewer asks about your current salary...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Nyx, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Does it happen often? I am used to agencies asking for it, but I think today was the first time that I was asked that at their client's. Obviously they would find out if I get hired from my P45, but them knowing it is significantly less than what's on offer, can you still negotiate more? Especially when going from contract to perm... I guess it is ok for them to ask unlike for example age etc.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

This is difficult because of the P45 issue but I would be honest and say that you came for the interview based not only on the job spec but also the salary on offer, you current salary has no baring on the interview and should have no baring on any job offer.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Getting a new job requires negotiation skills, in any negotiation you don't show your full hand.

You don't tell agencies or interviewers such stuff, its unreasonable of them to ask.

You tell them your 'salary expectations', anything else is just them trying to low ball you. They are trying to find your minimum price, if they know your last salary then have a 'benchmark' a figure that you are prepared to work for in the current or recent past.

This allows them to alter their offer accordingly.

There are various tactics in this situation :-

1. Ask what they are willing to pay, putting the ball back in their court.
    2. State your required salary for the job in line with industry norms.
    3. Be economical with a figure about your last salary in order to avoid a difficult situation.

Your personal finances are just that, Personal! Its really none of their business what income streams you have, only what you are prepared to work for.
    If they want to look at your P45 let them, you will have accepted the job by then.

Should you get the job you will probably find its a sackable offence to mention your salary, so why is it ok for them to ask you in the interview ?

Watch any program about used car salesmen to learn negotiation 101, theres one called The Car Chasers thats good.

Engineers are a pretty honest bunch, just remember not all professions are so honest...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014