When data center cabling becomes art

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JohnBradbury, Feb 8, 2008.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

http://royal.pingdom.com/?p=240

Not a bad website to bookmark either...

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That is some organizied patch panels. I wish ours was that clean, it would make it so much easier to work with.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What happens when they need to change a cable! :biggrin

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

In the real world making things that tidy would drive you insane, although most of the pics are backs of patch panels and servers where cabling doesnt change too often. I wonder if their switches look like that too?:eek:

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

As a trained wireman i can appreciate the work gone into making those cable looms that neat. I did the same here a few month ago on our test racks. All the network cables are loomed in and made off to the right lengths, plus 6" for slack and everyone was impressed. Before tis it was just a tangled mess and no one knew which cables went to which rack bay.

If the cables are tested before hand then its not a problem looming like that as you know each able works. When one does fail then it can be a pain, but its worth it just to keep things tidy.

And if you think it looks good using cable ties (its quicker to do it this way) then you should see what happens when someone goes to the time and effort of using lacing cord to make the loom. This was the way i was origianlly taught and nowadays its not used much due to time restrictions.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

It does look great, but if I had the time to do it, my boss would find me something else to do instead!

:)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I remember re-patching cables for one server cabinet at Newcastle College. I liked it so much I actually took a picture of it...might upload it sometime soon...however its nowhere near as neat as the ones on that site :biggrin...but as SGUK says...what happens when u need to change a cable? :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yeah I looked at that as well.

There's also this linky as well for some awesome displays of cable management........................

.......not! :blink

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

At least he did not use tyraps...

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i used to work for a company that did something similar and it used to take bloody hours. saying that my last job had hurrendous patch rooms (i'll have to dig out the pics some time when i get home), i'm not joking it took my an hour to remove 3 cables :(

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  12. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I can say that our patch panels don't look to disimilar to the tidy ones in here - they aren't cable tied down like that, but just as neat - and thankfully they're all fibre optic so a hell of a lot smaller too!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

In the last data center was similar to the tidy pics, but it started as a mess. Took weeks of after-hours work to tidy up ...just to watch it degrade again :dry

14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think both strategies have their advantages.

Bottom line, as IT bods, our sole purpose is to ensure that we can't be fired and replaced.

So, b0110cks to clear cabling and documentation.

We can either make the wiring so horrendous that our successor has to do it all again (ha ha, on his weekend off) or, do it really well and just use 500 cable ties on it so that just adding one machine means that he is forced to cut them all and then re-tie them in the same perfect fashion.

Sweet.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD