What's Your Favourite Urban Legend....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Cockles, Dec 15, 2006.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

i heard about a story where there was pictures of the so-called Camel Spiders that American servicemen found in Iraq that went around a while back. This spider allegedly attched itself to a camel's belly, injected an anaesthetic the promptly ate the camel without it knowing

and

there were reports of soldiers waking up to find their entire arm had been consumed in the same fashion, despite the fact that a spider eating an arm is roughly the equivalent of one of us eating an entire elephant in one sitting.

:twisted::twisted:

BTW Cockles, with 160+ posts you can't be a lurker anymore.:cry:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Bollox, curses for having a chatty nature and an opinion. Must keep that in check

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I love 'real' urban legends.

Like the one where the girl in the dorm room is scared after some murders in the area so she sleeps with her dog under the bed - hears a noise and wakes up with a start and reaches out to feel the reassuring lick of her dog's tongue so she goes back to sleep, then in the morning she wakes up to find her dog dead, with its tongue cut out and, on the wall of the bathroom, in blood are the words 'humans can lick too' :twisted:

What you're talking about here is chain mail - which is different. I HATE chain mail with a passion. As a shining example, how about this particular gem, which currently hits our chain mail filter at work about 10-15 times a day:

Pin number Reversal

Did you know that if you are being forced to make a withdrawal from an ATM against your will, you can enter your PIN number backwards. It will instantly alert the police and they will be despatched to your location so that they can apprehend the robber.

There are so many things about this that don't make sense that anyone passing it on needs to have their brains scooped out of their skulls as they clearly aren't using them on a day-to-day basis. the most glaring of these has to be: What if your PIN number is 7887? or 6226? or 3333?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Ah. The joy of urban legends.

I prefer to refer to them all at once. Or check things out. Or whatever. Sometimes, I read things and giggle.

So check this site out.

www.snopes2.com

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I've had about ten emails over the last five or six years saying the same thing but all with a different city mentioned:

I was shopping in town today and an Asian man in front of me dropped his wallet. I picked it up and gave it to him and he thanked me and warned me not to come to town on Saturday because something bad is going to happen...

:aaah

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

Then there's the classic about the guy in a club with an infected needle pricking people and when you get home there is a note in your pocket saying "You've got AIDS!"

I must have heard it 20 times about different clubs!

It can't be true as I'm the easiest target laying face down under a table come 4am.................

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

your under the table, faced down???

I dont even wanna think what you've been upto! :blink :rolleyes: :twisted: