What's Your Favourite Urban Legend....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Cockles, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

.....that has turned out to be utter rubbish

My personal favourite was the pictures of the so-called Camel Spiders that American servicemen found in Iraq that went around a while back. This spider allegedly attched itself to a camel's belly, injected an anaesthetic the promptly ate the camel without it knowing. :eek:

Also, there were reports of soldiers waking up to find their entire arm had been consumed in the same fashion, despite the fact that a spider eating an arm is roughly the equivalent of one of us eating an entire elephant in one sitting.

What crap

Anyone else :biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i heard about a story where there was pictures of the so-called Camel Spiders that American servicemen found in Iraq that went around a while back. This spider allegedly attched itself to a camel's belly, injected an anaesthetic the promptly ate the camel without it knowing

and

there were reports of soldiers waking up to find their entire arm had been consumed in the same fashion, despite the fact that a spider eating an arm is roughly the equivalent of one of us eating an entire elephant in one sitting.

Anyone else? LOL!

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hey Mr.C you just posted the same hehehehe

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Mr.Cheeks

i know :twisted:

5. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

You've lost me entirely :blink

6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, I heard this one about some pictures of the "Camel Spiders" that American servicemen found in Iraq that went around a while back. This spider allegedly attched itself to a camel's belly, injected an anaesthetic the promptly ate the camel without it knowing

and

there were reports of soldiers waking up to find their entire army had been consumed in the same fashion, despite the fact that a spider eating an arm is roughly the equivalent of one of us eating an entire great white in one sitting... :blink :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

There's also this one about people using cola to wash blood off highways???:eek:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Was just inspired after looking up some urban myths as part of some research, like the one where Jayne Mansfield was allegedly decapitated in the car crash she died in, or drinking Coke after eating popping candy mankes your guts explode

So please feel free to take the piss

9. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Winning the lottery!!!

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  10. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Do a search on Pepsi and Mentos on YouTube...wouldn't want that in my guts.

I used to think that the F word came from time of Henry the 8th. I had read somewhere that couples had to seek permission from the king to have sex. When he granted this the acronym F U C K was painted on the randy couple's door. The acronym meant Fornication Under Consent of the King...

How on earth did I fall for this and not realise it was an urban myth!!!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  11. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hah, never heard of that one, nice one :thumbleft

12. Mr.Cheeks

have a look here

13. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Yeah, that's exactly where I was looking pal. I genuninely thought the 'taking the word chicken out of KFC as it wasn't strictly chicken' was true though

14. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

Have you not whatched Mythbusters on the discovery channel
    there is a load of good myths on there where they try to prove or disprove them

WIP: A+ Network+
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

During the first few months of the Gulf War, there were supposedly sightings of dangerous Camel Spiders. Through the magic of photography, the camel spider looked absolutely huge when compared to background images:

[​IMG]

The legend grew as stories were shared regarding the Camel Spider's habits. This spider allegedly attached itself to a camel's belly, injected an anaesthetic, and promptly ate the camel before the camel could recover. Soldiers would supposedly wake up to find that their entire arm had been consumed in the same fashion, despite the fact that a spider eating an arm is roughly the equivalent of one of us eating an entire elephant in one sitting.

It was a pretty popular urban legend. You might have heard of it!

:p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Bunch of comedians you lot aren't you?

Still don't quite get what the deal is with repetition, maybe it's something us lowly non-cert guys don't get.:cry:

Ah well, back to lurking.....

17. Mr.Cheeks

mate - a legend is a story / myth that one has heard/read.

We read your one, and thats a legend that we are letting everyone know about...

18. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Too late, my mascara is running now. Sorry, I'm very emotional as I awoke to find a Daddy Long Legs had eaten my left arm

19. Mr.Cheeks

Sorry to hear about your arm... Do hope you get it replaced.

20. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Why thank you, I already have a substitute a la Borat which is working out nicely