What's Your Favorite Film selected for the 2005 National Film Registry

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by tripwire45, Dec 27, 2005.

?

What's Your Favorite Film selected for the 2005 National Film Registry?

1. The French Connection (1971)

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. The Sting (1973)

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Hoop Dreams (1994)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Toy Story (1995)

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I read these two stories and it piqued my interest (and another poll):

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/27/natfilm.registry.ap/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/27/natfilm.list.ap/index.html

As I was reading the list of the 25 films chosen to be admitted in the film registry (second link), I realized most of you wouldn't know about most of those films. I used to be a film student so am familiar with most of them. I decided to choose only a few of these films for this poll to avoid confusing everyone and to avoid listing 25 choices. I'll make the poll so that you can choose more than one film out of the list. I'll post my responses in a bit.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

voted for the french connection. i've seen only 3 of those, the other two are toy story and the rocky horror. if i saw the sting i don't remember it.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I picked the French Connection (classic cop movie with Gene Hackman), The Rocky Horror Picture Show (a real blast with audience participation) and Toy Story (the very first computer generated animated film). Remember, you can choose more than one film.

The only other film on the list that I've seen is The Sting, but I don't remember being particularly impressed with the film.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oh sure...I post a thread *not* based on barely dressed actresses and models and practically no one votes. Ok, you hound dogs. I *can* post pics of the female leads. This is a tough one for The French Connection since the film is so completely dominated by the male actors, but I did manage to track down Arlene Farber who appeared in the movie.

[​IMG]

Others appearing in a bit. :tongue

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Toy Story. Absolutely loved that film! :biggrin

6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

none of them, but if I had a gun to my head then probably toy story...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The Sting had Eileen Brennan as the lead. While she is a good actress, she typically isn't the sort of eye candy someone in their 20s goes for. The Rocky Horror Picture Show on the other hand, starred Susan Sarandon as the female lead and it's difficult to find a photo of her that I can post in "polite company". Jennifer Jason Leigh was the female lead in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I've never heard of her but did find a photo. Hoop Dreams is a documentary so none of the people appearing in the film are stars or actors. No photos there. Finally, Toy Story is computer generated. The closest thing to a female lead is Annie Potts playing the voice of Bo Peep. :biggrin

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well even tho I have seen French Connection and The Rocky Horror Picture Show I went for Toy Story...for sheer brilliance, laughs and as Trip said first ever computer generated animated film...but Trip can you remember a couple of short animations way back in the early 90s? one of them was of two lamps and I think it was called Luxo Jr. and the other featured a baby called Tin Toy...I think that was when they first tested computer animation...i could be wrong but anyone want to make sure? :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I remember that now, Noel - isn't that what Pixar now use as their logo ? At the end of a Pixar "movie" you always get the swinging desk lamp.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yes Jak! :biggrin thats the one...it was in fact Pixar who did those short animations (at least I think it is!!) and yes they use the lamp...its quite funny that shot...its comes bouncing along the PIXAR logo...stops at the I then proceeds to jump on it and it keeps jumping on it till it squashes it!! and wonders where it went!! classic!!

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Okay I couldn't let your comment drop Trip. What on earth is a film student? :blink You studied films, sheesh you Americans have an easy life - what next, a student of fine ale :eek:

I voted for The French Connection and The Sting as being the best of the bunch. However, my favorite films are not on the list. Got any pictures of Linda Lovelace :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Tied.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Trip.

Strange two completely different types of films, just goes to show there is no accounting for taste :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

...and the winner is...

[​IMG]