Problem Whats up with my network setup.....

Discussion in 'Networks' started by paulwatson5, Dec 13, 2011.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

OK, bit of a noob question here.
    I was copying over a 700mb file from my netbook to my home server last night and the transfer rate was about 1.2mb per second.

Surely this is a lot slower than i should be getting??

To help out with potential questions, here is my network setup.

2 x computers up stairs (1 desktop machine and 1 HP Microserver) both linked to a D-Link 10/100 Switch.
    The switch is then connected to a eBuyer 85mbps homeplug which is then connected to the homeplug in my licingroom downstairs and that is then connected to the back of my Sky Sagem ADSL router.

I was wirelessly transfering the 700mb file from my Acer Aspire netbook to my HP microserver.

I know that this file would have had to go though the router, homeplug, switch then to the server but im sure it should be transfering quicker than that.

Also, im looking to revamp my home network equiptment but would like to do it on the cheap side so if anyone has any improvement ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

You slowest point will probably be over the wireless. First thing I'd check is how busy the airwaves are, use something like netstumbler and see if your channel is heavy used and if so switch it.

Equally it's probably worth doing some speed test of the homeplug link and see what the actual speed is rather than the max rated on the box ;).

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

One thing I'd check is the 10/100 switch, if auto-negotiation is failing it could be defaulting to 10mbps.
    Assuming you are working in 802.11g/n then that's a big drop for what I would assume is only being a few feet away from the WAP so you might want to check you aren't somehow defaulting to 802.11b.
    I assume you weren't doing anything else network intensive at the time.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

The file transfer was the only thing running at that time, i dont do a lot on the computer so there was nothing else running on the network.

I think im going to replace the 10/100 switch anyway, saw a gigabit 5 port switch for £13.89 on play.com, not sure how good it is though??? I think it was made by TP-Link.....

Also, the netbook is a wireless b/g mini wifi card, is this decent or is a better card avaliable?

5. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Could it be that your netbook is using 802.11g?
    I was getting about the same transfer speeds before I moved to 802.11n.

1,2 MB/sec is roughly 10 Mbps which isn't that bad considering it's a shared medium. Were there other wifi devices online?

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  6. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

With the homeplugs on seperate ring mains it can drop the transfer speed I know that mine does there are lights on the belkin ones that show the state and the link light on mine is amber which means there restricted speed because one is on the upstairs ring and one on the downstairs ring

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  7. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

I think the problem is the wireless connection.
    I transfered the same 700mb file between my desktop machine and my server which are in the same room and just have the 10/100 switch between them and it transfered at 11mb per second which is speeds im happy with.

Its when i transfer stuff from my netbook to the server via the homeplugs that i get the slow down.

Now i went into the router admin page and the router is set to 54g auto and my laptop's wifi mini pci card is b/g so how do i know if it's actually connected at b or g??

Its gooing to be either the laptop running at b wifi speed or its the homeplugs going slow....

8. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

you might be able to set it explicitly to b or g in the wifi card properties (driver permitting). you could connect the laptop to the plug directly to see if the plugs aren't the culprit.

9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

That would be the next step I would take, cable in the netbook to the router and try it again.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Then do it :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Well, its the homplugs that are my problem.

I plugged the netbook into the router direct and transfered over the same file and it transfered at about 900k per second.

The homeplugs are 85mbps. Is there is a program/tool i can use to run speed tests etc on the plugs?

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think mojorisin may have nailed the problem unless you know they are definitely on the same ring main.