Whats the best way to do this..?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by nXPLOSi, Feb 23, 2011.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I've been handed a project at work which is basicly setting up our field staff with handheld devices that will be able to connect into one of our servers that'll be hosting a intranet webpage. The webpage will be an updatable ASP application which then feeds information back and forth with an internal SQL Server.

So far the idea is to have an IPSec VPN which connects into our network, somehow locked down to just the intranet server, which then talks to the SQL Server.

Can anyone help with guidance on the best way to do this? Its nothing like what i've done before so im a little nervous about not doing it in the right way. :(

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

What do you use to terminate VPN's?

If you use Forefront TMG (or presumably ISA) you can terminate VPN's and allow VPN traffic only to go to the server/network you want. You basically put the required server on a separate network and route VPN traffic to it or configure firewall to allow VPN traffic to connect only to the requred server.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

How are you setup? do you have a DMZ? and I believe you guys have Watch-guard devices right?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Yeah at present we have the one watchguard protecting our internal network which is just the one subnet as its only a small concern, 50 or so people.

I'll have to look into Forefront, sounds like the kind of thing we're looking for.

Im a little over my head with all this but cheers for the help guys. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012