What's the best method to remove a virus?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by redstar, Jul 7, 2009.

1. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

Hey all, i've just got a wee query that i'm abit unsure of so i thought i'd run it by you guys to get some opinions and thoughts.

Normally when i do a virus scan on my c: drive i'd run my antivirus program then either quarantine or delete the offending virus. This is pretty much standard practice for me.

My question is that sometimes there are files that my antivirus software can't scan because the files/system files are in use or locked. I've tried scanning in safemade too but the same thing happens.

I'd be happy to take my c:drive out and connect it to my other pc or laptop and scan the hard drive that way as the system files wouldn't be in use or locked. Is it safe enough to scan the drive this way and is there any risk by the antivirus software removing any system files?

I don't want to scan the drive this way then find when i put it back in my desktop pc that it won't boot due to system files being deleted by the virus scan.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks :thumbleft

Certifications: None
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The only way to be completly free is to wipe the drive. You could attempt to do it the way you have mention (by taking it out and putting in another pc) but afterwards you might have to do a repair install if system files are removed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sounds like the virus might have taken hold of some files in system restore.

My advice....

1. Install the free version of avast antivirus (Link is here)
    2. Update the definition files.
    3. Switch off system restore on C:\
    4. Do a full pre-boot and live scan including system files.

Should sort your problem out. Else, if you're like me and cba with all that fuss, just back-up your files and format the drive - that'll get rid of any viruses. :)

Hope this helps.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Flamethrower?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I agree that a wipe would probably be in my best interests but i have alot of programs installed on the drive and some of which i don't have the original discs/serials.

I carried out a fresh install of xp pro just over a year ago and it took ages to get most of the software back on and i really don't wanna go through that again lol. Is there an app to back up software installations rather than just files or hasn't that been invented yet?

I'm gonna give the avast a bash and see how it goes. Cheers for the link Qs.

I'll post back with how i got on.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Oops. Perhaps you should keep up with those next time.

Best way to get rid of a virus is to repartition, reformat, and reinstall.

No, that's not always the easiest method, and it's not always the most efficient method, and it's not always the method I use. But it's the ONLY way to be 100% sure you've gotten rid of it.

In truth, it's impossible to say what the most efficient method of removing any virus is, because each virus is different. Some can be gotten rid of by doing an AV scan and disinfect. Some can be gotten rid of manually by deleting files and modifying the registry. Others can be removed with a specialized removal app. But just about every virus can be removed with a pave and rebuild or a reimaging.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Repartition, reformat, and reinstall for the win!!

If that's not an option.......give Linux a try. :rocks

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  8. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

Ahh the perfect solution Qs. That worked a treat using the pre boot scan of Avast. No more Mr Nasties are lurking about! It's saved me messing about re-installing ect. A big thankyou to you! :thumbleft

9. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I don't know what avast is but I was going to say... there are other operating systems (LiveCD) which don't use the windows system files on your drive. You could run a virus scan from there as long as windows isn't loaded and it should be able to scan every file on your drive. If it's just a virus on your drive and your machine otherwise works fine, then this is probably best way to go rather than formatting and reinstalling.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Glad it's sorted :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. Geekzilla

Geekzilla Nibble Poster

I have had success with the bootable antivirus from BitDefender. It opperates in a Linux enviroment but will scan all of the files on the HD. It has been good for removing Malware and memory resistant viruses.

See here

If you have it connected to a LAN via CatV it will update the definitions.

Certifications: None, Yet
    WIP: Comptia A+
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

He fixed it back in July guys...

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. BosonMichael

What's the best method to remove a sig spammer? :spam

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Well you see BM a swift click of the mouse, that's how :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. BosonMichael

Props to the management. :iluvcf

16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We aim to please :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. alexssmith

alexssmith New Member

The only way to remove viruses from your computer is best Antivirus Software. Install a best antivirus software and protect your computer from viruses. I will recommended you to install free version of Immunet Antivirus. You may download from this link- Free antivirus

I am using this for my computer and i don't find any issue so far.