what's next

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shadowwebs, May 18, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

so I have my A+, I am now learning to drive, and then planning on learning the guitar... maybe I am going through a mid-life crisis hey :biggrin

Anyway... so I am working on a support desk for the last few years, and really want to break in to the desktop support technician role instead, where I can actually stand up away from my desk and do the real repairs instead of just trying to talk a user through it all... what's the best certification to go for to prove my worth?

As I say, I already have the A+, so what would be the best step next to take

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hmmm,

difficult one this as it can be as much luck and good-timing that helps you with the move, even more so than certs.

But if you're looking at Wintel, I'd take a look at a Desktop Cert. (XP, Vista or Win7 - whichever you think would be beneficial for the jobs you're looking at). Certainly the MCITP:EDST7 would be very good on your CV to break into this area, but the 'MCTS: Configuring Win7' is a good starting point.

HTH.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I would perhaps look to do the Windows 7 Client exam and the N+. Cheers
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Don't feel you can't apply for any Desktop Support roles now. If you've been in the helpdesk for a while and you know your stuff, then you should comfortable to apply for any technican/support jobs 8)

In regards to certifications, definitely go for the 70-680 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  5. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

thanks guys, been applying for a few jobs but either no responses or the money is just really poor for what they are asking for so I have turned them down straight away.

I will be taking a look at the 70-680 as I thought this would be the best route to take.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)