What's necessary for CCNA prereqs?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by SterlingBarnes, Aug 3, 2010.

1. SterlingBarnes

SterlingBarnes New Member

I'm interested in studying for and earning my CCNA Cert, and I've run into some conflicting information that i'd like some assistance in clarifying.

According to a couple of people I know, and a couple of websites that i've explored, it's entirely possible to use the CCNA study guy and included CDs to learn CCNA from scratch with no previous networking experience. I realize this is a more difficult approach since it means no real hands-on experience, but one of the people mentioned above insists that they have several older cisco routers setup in a practice lab that they'd let me use for learning and training myself.

After contacting a local company that has classes to teach CCNA and assist in the certification process, CCNA is only for people who have prior networking experience/knowledge, and in order to even try to get into their classes they require a minimum of A+ Certification and Network+ certification - roughly trippling the class time I had anticipated and almost quadrupalling the cost.

So my question becomes: Are there classes/certifications/experience that are basic requirements in order to learn and take the CCNA exam, or is it realistically possible to learn CCNA without the prior Certs or knowledge and still land a decent entry-level job in the field?

-Sterling

2. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I went to night school and got my CCNA with no other certs it was not easy but possible. I am now finding it will not get you an entry level job. I would aim lower A+ then N+ then CCNA when you are working in IT. You will get this advice many times over from this forum.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Cisco provide Cisco Essentials 1 & 2 which are basically the A+ and the N+, so they do kind of reccommend you have these as a prerequisite too.

I don't think you have to be a server or network admin to take the CCNA, but you do definitely need to know the basics, and the A+ / N+ do a reasonable job on the basics.

Thirdly the CCNA requires a 3 year recert and Cisco specific product knowledge, which could well be out of date before you get into industry, so in general it's wise to hold off on it until in industry.

However if I were on a networking degree, I'd certainly try and fit CCNA in with the degree or at least shortly after it.

For the record I have not taken the CCNA or the A+, make of that what you will...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There may be prerequisites for certain courses offered by training providers, but there are no prerequisites for the CCNA exam itself. In truth, you don't even have to take a class to take the CCNA exam... all you need is some study materials (books, practice exams, videos) and some hands-on practice (using real gear or router simulators).

All that said, the others are right - the CCNA isn't going to help you at the start of your career, because people who are new to the IT career field aren't typically hired to administer routers... those jobs are given to techs with quite a bit of experience. As the others have advised, you should pursue the A+ and Network+, as both are solid, entry-level certification exams that relate to what an entry-level tech should know.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!