1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's in your admin toolkit?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by fortch, Apr 17, 2008.

1. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I'll start -- ShellExView. Great little tool.

Oh, and does everybody carry a loaded pendrive, cd/dvd's, or both?

Lastly, what's your most-used tool or app? Mine? Pocket screwdriver :biggrin
    Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

My most-used admin tool? ssh My second most-used tool? nano I like it better than vim as it's easier to use for 95% of what I use a text editor for. Third? I'd probably have to say Google, although my library of books gets used a lot too. Fourth? scp. It's like a secure ftp client that uses ssh as its base. Fifth? A graphical text editor such as Kate or Gedit that shows line numbers and highlights syntax so I have reference points when talking to someone else about where in a php script or file they can find what I'm working on or helping them with.

I have a few graphical tools available to me such as phpmyadmin, webmin, etc... but I rarely use them. I've found it's just faster to work with the configuration files themselves or use the *nix utilities from a bash prompt.

I do use Kompare fair amount. It's a graphical diff tool that shows differences in 2 text files. It's great for finding differences in code or configuration files when troubleshooting issues where something works on one server but not another.
    Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

ERD Commander.
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Don't do much admining anymore...

Office 2007 and Project/Visio 2007 are my tools of choice these days :)
    that and Firefox 3
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0