1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats Harder MCDST or A+?

Discussion in 'A+' started by jamessimo, May 16, 2008.

1. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

:blink

Hi All

As per the title what is harder MCDST or A+ ?

I would appreciate or your thoughts and experiences?

Many Thanks

James

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCTS,CCNA,CCNAV
    WIP: ccnp,ccvp,ccdp.ccip
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Obviously Depends on what you know.

A+ is more PC basics, whereas the MCDST is more about supporting that specific microsoft operating system.

People tend to say the A+ is the entry level with MCDST the next step up and i think thats fair to say.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I agree,

Logical pathway through certification

AndiC

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

It really depends on your knowledge and experience. The A+ is predominantly hardware (although there's a fair amount of software stuff on the exams, as well), while the MCDST exams cover administering XP computers. I'd suggest following the A+ then MCDST advice already given.

5. Kwak

Kwak Bit Poster

Is comforting to know this as I passed the MCDST and getting ready for the A+. :)

Certifications: MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: MCITP->MCSA
  6. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

MCDST looks the more difficult one to me,i'm thinking of doing that course this year,but i don't know if there is much point,as i don't want to work on help desks.
    I've had a look at the style of questions used in mcdst,and find them very long winded,A+ on the other hand is simple and direct questioning,you're expected to read,think about and answer the question in less than one minute in the A+ exam,so that shows you it's not very complex,you pretty much know it or you don't,if you had to have a long think about each question the exam would be over before you know it.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  7. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The others are right: it all depends on what you know. If you aren't familiar with hardware, but you're very familiar with assisting users with Windows-based questions, then you might find the MCDST to be easier than the A+. That said, the A+ is usually the entry-point into IT... so most people find those exams to be easier.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!