Whats happening with comtiaA+

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Georgiesickjitz, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

Hi guys. Im currently looking at studying the comptia A+. i have read a couple of times that the certification is finishing,if that makes sense. Is this true and if so what is going to take its place. I do not want to waste my time studying if its im studying the wrong course work and exam.

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Hello, the A+ is not going anywhere - it is just being updated. The old (2006) version is available in here in the UK until the end of August. More info below from the CompTIA website:
    Further information on the updated exam can be found here. There are two exams you need to pass before the end of August if you are going for the 2006 version of the A+, so it is up to you if you are confident you can pass both before then or if you want to study for the 2009 version.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  3. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

Thank you so much.

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  4. CraigH

CraigH New Member

I'm upgrading to A+ 2009 and the new exam numbers are 220-701 & 220-702.

There is very little training available at the moment - it looks like Comptia jumped the gun a bit because of their desire to get ISO accredited. Most training providers have barely got books out yet for the new exams, let alone any quality multimedia training etc.

You can take the old 600 exams till Aug 31, but since you can now take the 2009 exams, it seems pointless as then you'll have to do the BR-003 upgrade exam.

Since Comptia are now following the ISO rules of 3 yearly updates, you will have to be re-examining every 3 years to stay current now anyway.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA