Whats a good USB adapter to buy?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by fatp, Apr 22, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I have a Dell Optiplex SX270 SFF P4 2.8 20GB HDD 1GB RAM computer, that i want to connect to the wireless network in my house. The connetction is 40 mb (the highest, from virgin isp)

Whats a good usb adapter to buy?

netgear, belkin?

i'm currently lookin at the Belkin Wireless G+ USB Adapter.

Spec:
    Enables your desktop or laptop PC to connect to any wireless network via your USB slot.
    Maximum speeds of 125Mbps.
    35% faster than standard 802.11g.
    Features wireless 64 and 128 bit WEP encryption.
    Fits any standard USB slot, USB 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0.
    Includes free parental control and pop-up blocker software trial.
    Complies with 802.11g standards, backward compatible with 802.11b.
    Manufacturer's lifetime warranty.

What do you think?

FatP :)

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In general the non-standard speeds (the G+ bit) will only work with an access point from the same manufacturer with the same capabilities. Without that you will get the standard 'g' speeds.

Otherwise it doesn't matter very much which USB adapter as long as it has drivers for your version of Windows.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I prefer Netgear, though Linksys is usually a safe bet.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'd leave the Belkin stuff alone. I've never owned one because in my research people have had a lot of trouble with a lot of consumer grade Belkin products.

I'd also stay away from Broadcom products too. I have a Netgear WG111T usb wireless adapter and it has probably 20% more range and always shows a stronger signal strength than the Broadcom 4318 adapter built into my laptop. I'm not sold on the Netgear either though as it gets very hot after using it for any length of time.

One last thing to consider. If you ever plan on playing around with Linux and will want to set up wireless in Linux make that a factor in choosing your wireless adapter now. The wireless manufacturers are not very good at supporting Linux.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. interface

interface New Member

6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Yeah i have a netgear, pretty good......but the signal did fall sometimes, so i bought a repeater, and the signal was spot on, but thats another story

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing