What would you guys expect a newly qualified CCNA to be able to do in the workplace

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by morph, Oct 23, 2008.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

?

Just wondering what some of the senior network guys would expect of a newly quliaifed ccna, what you'd expect them to be able to deal with in a normal office ?:blink

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am not a senior network guy but have been working with people who are doing CISCO related work and studying for their CCNA too.

From what I gather you should be able to:- Setup switches & hubs
    Configure VLans
    Build a cabinet with all the switches in, connect all of the cables.
    Setup the correct protocols
    Maintain security
    test/troubleshoot any issues
    control/monitor flow of traffic on the network.
    Make sure no-one can delete network drives (you can at my work)

Thats all I can think of.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

gbl jst outlined the whole nine yards 4 u. i guess dats jst about it. u shld b able to create and properly place ACCESS LIST this is essential cuz it strictly controls flow of data and if place wrongly u will definitely shut down an interface and prevent data frm getting to their destination but if placed correctly u prevent users frm accessing sensitive data or info

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  4. francisco

francisco New Member

That's when you start learning and fighting for your career,you'll be still studying and working really hard while they will drink coffe..

5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I would expect a newly qualified CCNA to have knowledge or be able configure the following:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-802.html

Which means mostly troubleshooting issues, most companies anyways would have the kit already configured by the time you get there, if you are lucky they may have needs for new kit etc so depending upon the size of the company and the other techies there you may or may not be involved with the config side of things.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Isnt that more of a microsoft type security issue? ;)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  7. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i would have thought they would have locked it down in the GPO

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well just because the guy has the CCNA is doesnt mean he will just be dealing with Cisco kit.

It is a MS security\admin task though as you said. 8) *

* = lets assume there is a Windows domain in place.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. greenbrucelee

yep but how many places don't use windows? not that many.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You would be surprised.

Linux servers with samba shares are common for small networks with Windows clients. Also Novell networks are still going strong in some companies, especially ones who have invested in apps that will run on Novell.

I agree that most companies will run a Windows domain but there are still some that will be running a different setup.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. greenbrucelee

I knew about Novell, our main production system was on Unix untill 3 year ago. Never knew of any places uses Linux though.

12. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I agree completely but a CCNA doesnt mean competancy in Windows or any other technologies ;)

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would hope you can make a decent cup of coffee 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would hope that they would be able to configure a Cisco router. But if they're a newly qualified CCNA without any hands-on experience, I wouldn't let them on my kit without having a senior bod over their shoulder the entire time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. bokawel

bokawel Bit Poster

i know someone who started with me as a tech support who has CCNA and he thought that by having CCNA he should be able to breeze into our training. he thought wrong and he realised it was tougher than he expected.

Certifications: BEng Computing, Java Cert, A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support