what would you do?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

With BM's analysis, If GBL takes the cash now, he only wins if he find another job before the end of the year.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have decided to stay just for the simple fact that the job climate is ****e and there is a strong chance I wont get anything.

I had worked this also when I was in bed last night thanks for clarifying.

No I hate my job but I can put up with it for a few more months as hopefully by then the job market will have improved. I work part time in the IT dept along side my current job but have basically been knocked back twice before for a full time job there. I do the jobs they dont want to do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

..you honestly don't think you'd get another job in 5 months time??:blink
    5 months of full time job applying?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. greenbrucelee

Maybe at Tescos or something but I would have to move as there is only manufacturing and farming where I live and as far as I can tell the job market is crap everywhere so I'm staying put and hopefully things in the job market will get better soon.

5. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Its a tough position to be in GBL, my initial thoughts were that you should take the money and run but it probably makes more sense to stay as you have and get applying for other jobs, I guess it does mean you can't go full time job hunting but if there isn't many jobs about they don't take that long to hunt.

Have you applied for any other jobs already?
    From reading your posts on here about various things I think you could definitely offer a lot more to an IT role than I probably can at present, not just on paper but in practice, and i'm sure your part time IT work can also give you an extra edge.

Staying put obviously opens up the possibility that you won't get made redundant, but it also keeps the Employment history full as others have said. I don't know your companies situation but I would imagine if they're letting on it may be over, then it more than likely already is.
    Both of my brothers worked for a building company 2 years ago who started having cash flow issues, cheques bouncing and accounts stopped, wages bouncing etc and yet they remained adamant that it was ok, then they all turned up for work one morning to be told the company had been put into liquidation and the advisors were there to run through it all with them and everything, yet they had no idea when they left work the night before.

WIP: A+
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ i can only talk from my experience, but the job market is from crap up here. I would make sure you have ensured it is really crap in your area/areas you would be willing to move to before deciding (if thats the deciding factor)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's a fair point, but given the choice, I'd rather look for 4-5 months than work for 4-5 months for the same amount of money in my pocket. And when I say "look for 4-5 months", I mean REALLY look for 4-5 months - make getting a job my full time job... not just "look after work when I can scrape together enough time to do so".

IF there were a fair chance that the job would remain, AND the job was actually an IT job, THEN I might consider staying.

Also a fair point. But the way I look at that is that I'd be working for 4 months for the grand total of £1284.40. :blink

That said, it looks like he's already made the decision to stay, so I only make the points for logic's sake.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Glad you have made a decision mate, I’m sure it was a tough one.

I’m sure you know it is probably time to move on though? I would start applying for IT jobs first chance you get.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. greenbrucelee

Yep I am attending a jobs fair tommorow so will be handing out my cv a lot.

10. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Seems a pretty good approach as you can sell yourself a little too surely rather than just the CV landing on the desk. Never seen these around me but they must be as I am not fully in the sticks and can easily get to wolves or at a push birmingham or manchester.

WIP: A+
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I would have taken the money. £7.5k to live on, you could easily cut back on your spending whilst looking for another job.

There is no point being miserable in a job you know that might not be there in January, so you'd be even more up the creek as there would be no money because the company may have gone bust.

Don't stay in a job for the sake of having a job. It will only make you ill in the long run.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The missus was pretty much given a similar option yesterday. Fun times!

Shes decided to take the payout and run.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Winner =]

How are you doing GBL? Found a possible job? Have any regrets on the decision?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)