What would you do over hear someone cheat?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Ence, Aug 1, 2008.

?

What would you do?

1. Grass him up to Microsoft

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Have a word with our tutor

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. No one like a grass

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Let him get on with it he future employer will soon find out his knowledge is poor

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Mind you own business

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

What would you do?

Over hearing a class mates talking saying never reads any study book or video
    He said I just use college mock questions and some braindumps.

He spent one month learning for server 2003 exam, And had just passed with a score of 710.

I feel cheeked all the work I have put in, and there someone else cheating. He then siad his aims to get his MCSE in six months. :rolleyes:

What would you do?

poll
    Grass him up to Microsoft
    Have a word with our tutor
    No one like a grass
    Let him get on with it he future employer will soon find out his knowledge is poor
    Mind you own business

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

He clearly knows he's cheating so talking to him would probably do no good, not sure if the tutor would do anything either, so I would send a mail off to MS with his certification ID if you have it and explain the situation.

Then again its your word against his

Either way with any luck he will be caught and be back to square - 1 (where he cant do any more exams)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. S7AN

S7AN New Member

You can't call it cheating. Cheating would be if he had book of answers with him at the exam. Them certificates would not be holding any value if you could cheat and get it. Surely they are structered in the way that it would be easier to understand the subject than memorise all the answers that are not even disclosed.
    Earlier or later you will still have to put hard work into learning the subject to be able to do the job.

Certifications: BTEC IT
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

since give him a slapping isn't an option then I would grass him up to Microsoft. Why should someone possible get a job over me when I have studied legit and they haven't?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I don't know really. To be honest sooner or later he will be exposed, whether it's in class or on the job. Also as much as I would like to believe that microsoft can do something in this situation, I don't think anything will happen because they need proof, and verbal proof is not always enough, he has to be caught in the act.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I'm not sure whether emailing Microsoft and stating that you 'overheard' a conversation would do much good.

However, you can give it ago and let us know what sort of response you get.

Whenever this person gets a job, normally they have to do a IT exam with the potential employer, either they will be found out then or later on when an 'MCSE' should know about e.g. DHCP, DNS, Infrastructure, Domain Controllers, Permissions, Group Policy, WSUS etc in a day to day job role.

I know that my employer has let several people go who are apparently 'MCSE' qualified who turn out to be braindumpers.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

S7AN there is no two ways about it, it is cheating.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There are plenty of people who use BDs to pass the MCSE. This guy might pass but I doubt he will progress very far in his IT career.

In regard to the question I would just wait until the employer finds out he isn’t cut out for the job.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I voted on this poll a couple of days ago and chose the option to let his employer find out how useless he is and that he cheated his way to his certs, then let the grapevine do the rest, he will soon have a reputation bad enough that no one will touch him with a 10 ft bargepole.

BTW who ever voted "Mind Your Own Business" well words fail me.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Interesting thread, rep left:thumbleft

I have to agree with THEPROF there! I don't think Microsoft are that bothered about people using braindumps just so long as their product sells!:rolleyes: I can't see them doing anything about it, they are aware of brainump sites.8)

Like THEPROF stated it's your word against his so telling the teacher is out!

"Let him get on with it he future employer will soon find out his knowledge is poor" - sooner or later he will fall flat on his face!:dry

I used to work with a guy who also bragged about using Braindumps and used to ask me questions about how to fix things on a PC and how to add a PC to a network domain and he was MCSE qualified:ohmy Also he was paid more than me and used to annoy me a bit because I'd be doing his job!:x

In the end he was making so many mistakes (as well as stealing from the company) they fired him!

Which was good day for me not so good for him:twisted:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Good answer:super

rep left:biggrin

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

But that's what Braindumps are S7AN they are answer to the question given in the exam or as you put it "book of answers" OK so they can't take that book into the exam, but if the memorised the book of answers? why would they need to take it into the exam?

To me if someone pays for information or exam paper before they have taken the exam. That's cheating!
    If an employer only excepted candiates that had a mark of over 900 score on their Microsoft certs, and despite you learning the subject inside out you didn't get that score but someone who knew what the questions would be in the exam and therefore memorised those answer to get a perfect score and the job - wouldn't you be annoyed???

Luckly employers don't ask for the mark, to them a pass is a pass, but the real test comes when you have to put it (the cert)into practice and they know that. Certs are just a foot through the door, experience and understanding of the subject is what counts!8)

13. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

That would be S7AN. :p

S7AN If he using braindumps then he got the real questions & then answers how that not cheating.
    Maybe I could get someone else to sit my exam.

I think I got to talk to our tutor then it in his hands what to do.
    Just to add the when his was talking be was a smug almost boosting. He did add what then next exam :x

edit: now reads other reply s

14. S7AN

S7AN New Member

I don't understand why would it be such a big issue as either way like I've said you would have to put hard work into knowing the subject to be able to do the job. It doesnt matter before or after you get your certificate.

And i don't believe theres big chance of passing using brain dumps or whatever. More hassle and much more risk of failing numerous times plus you will still have to learn the subject at some point. Easier to learn the subject. Questions you will get on your exam would be selected from 1000+ I assume? so you gotta memorise all 1000 of braindump questions?

And lastly reporting one "cheater" won't change a thing. And it would definately not help you with your career. Why getting wound up and waste your time. There are pleanty of obvious reasons why it makes sense to learn the subject instead of "cheating". The real reason you feel you want to report him is probably because you just want a certificate, not knowledge ASAP too and feel stupid for doing all the hard work and not discovering his route earlier.

and no I've woted for :Let him get on with it he future employer will soon find out his knowledge is poor

Certifications: BTEC IT
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I don't see what's new here as he would soon get found out in an interview or better still let go off from a potential role. To be honest not worth the hassle even thinking or getting wound up about it.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

People use braindumps to pass all the time why do you think the majority of braindump providers have a 100%
    pass gaurantee?

But as has been said he/she will get found out by his/her employer but I would still like to give the dumper a slap.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think a lot of people will agree with me on here, but people do put time and effort into learning the materials properly, i dont think anyone on here would say that getting any certification is a guarantee of a job, but i think BosonMichaels example in (yet) another similar thread was great, someone reaches MCSE level and gets a job basically by cheating there way through, then a month later that guy is fired (if he makes it that far) and the employer then decides that all MCSE's are obviously rubbish, as he probably will not be aware of any cheating.

This devalues the certification, and makes everyone who passes through hard work, knowledge and skills effort worth a little less.

I think everyone should be concerned and do the right thing whatever the profession, IT as a field of employement is going to be facing many challenges over the coming years as it matures, so we need everyone who is on board up to speed and genuinely capable of doing their jobs whatever level they work at, otherwise IT as a field becomes a worse profession due to lower wages, this is partly due to perception.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  18. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Pfft. Please. It's no different than stealing a professor's final exam questions from his or her desk. It's cheating.

Because it devalues our hard-earned certifications. Know why employers don't value certifications much anymore? Because of braindumpers. Believe what you will, but I've seen firsthand the changes in how certifications have been perceived over the past 10 years.

You don't visit braindump sites much, do you? If you did, you'd realize how wrong you are. Tons of people reporting scores in the high 900s, and often with perfect 1000s.

It's far easier for someone to remember to answer "IPSec" on the scenario with three computers than it is to truly understand WHY they should use IPSec in the first place. THAT is why lazy techs cheat.

Your assumption that there are 1000+ questions in the question pool is false. Most exams don't have nearly that many. At best, there are only a few hundred.

The bottom line is this, for there is no argument against: if you're good enough to pass the exam on your own merits, without cheating, then you don't need braindumps... and if you have to rely on braindumps to pass, then you're NOT ready to hold the certification.

No, it won't help you with your career... but if more people were decertified, people would think twice before resorting to using braindumps. I, for one, can't wait for the day that Microsoft, Cisco, and CompTIA start *really* cracking down, raising the integrity of my hard-earned certifications.

There are plenty of reasons why you should learn the subject instead of cheating. Sadly, an overwhelming number of techs just want to pass the exam, get the letters, and get on with their jobs. They don't care much to learn what's on the exam - they just want to pass it.

You have GOT to be kidding. :dry If not... well, enjoy being a braindumping troll. :banned

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

"No One likes a grass"

"mind your own business"

Shame on the people who would be a rat, and grass. It's the kind of thing little girls do at school. Even though I'm not a cheat - I sure as hell hope I'm not working with any of the snakes who said they'd "grass" the person in... You usually find that there is a fine line between a grass and an ass kisser, and that's not a team player by any means. It's a shame for the forum who do have genuine hard working honest people who would be genuine towards their team

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+