What would you do if you were rich?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jul 20, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I mean really, really rich. Bill Gates rich. This question was inspired by the following in the Harry Potter thread:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ask that people please call me "Richard". I dislike being called "Rich". :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Very droll BM :dry :biggrin

If I were rich like 'Bill Gates' rich, I'd buy an island. I'd retreat to it and finish my series of novels. I'd make sure my family had all their mortgages paid off. I'd marry Martin in style (he wouldn't mind marrying me then, money and that).

I'd look at the third world - I know money doesn't solve everything, and the problems there are so deep rooted. But these charities, and the Red Cross and so on, keep saying that £X.XX will feed a family for a month, or so on. I'd probably start a township, or sponsor an existing village. Get them sorted, and sanitised, and safe.

And silly things? I'd hire a scientist to breed 'Midgeons'. They're a mix between pigeons and moles, and make their homes by flying at the ground at a ridiculous speed. They often die trying to move house. That's where the scientific help needs to come in...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Buy a Ferrari :biggrin

That is all....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Buy some beer, then more beer and then maybe buy a beer making machine:biggrin

Buy a [​IMG]

pay off my mates debts and mortgages, buy a boat, sail around the world and then setup a computer firm and called it Microsoft sucks so why buy from them??

Catchy title eh?:p :biggrin

Hell I could even employ Freddy Freeloader as campaign manager:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Sparky

LOL, where is Freddy these days anyway? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If I were bill gates rich, then open a company, own hotels, other real estate, etc. Enough stuff to keep me busy and do what I would enjoy doing.

Aside from that help out the family and invest at the same time.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You know you liked it... 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

If you had the money of Gates, the intrest alone would give you more money per day than I earn now per year. It is said that, if Bill would see a $ 100 bill on the street, he would not be bothered in picking it up, because he would make more money doing nothing in the same time.

I can not imagine the sum of money Bill now has. I can not imagine what I would do with it.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

You can find him here :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. Sparky

Ahhh, so why does he not post here anymore? :blink

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't think I'd have to be "Bill Gates" rich, but I didn't want to put limits on anyone's imagination with my questions.

How to fund the retirement years for the missus and myself would be rendered academic so that's one concern off our minds. All of our favorite charities would suddenly be better off. Any money issues any member of our families ever had could be made to go away.

We probably would limit the amount of money we'd provide for our children. David is a Marine serving in Iraq just now so there's not a lot he can spend money on just now. I've seen how young people with a lot of money tend to act and they make fairly poor decisions most of the time. If they had a definite plan for education and career, we would be able to help them out, but I don't think we'd just hand them a stack of money and tell them to go "have fun".

Once all of that was taken care of, it would be a matter of deciding where we wanted to live and how. I might eventually get a pricey sports car but I like the car I have now and probably wouldn't upgrade for awhile.

I would quit my day job but would continue to write books that I wanted to write, study IT and other areas and basically use my not having to work as a platform to better myself.

Of course, we could replace our dying TV with something a bit more modern and our CD and DVD collections would improve substantially. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+