what would you choose? car related

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 15, 2010.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I did look at the newer one but for 1 BHP more and a heavier car = slower that's a no no for me :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Good choice mate, i think the older one looks a lot better plus its quicker.
    You will be grinning for ten minutes every time you get out of it :biggrin

In reference to the 350z comment above, the father in law bought one (mid life crisis) and i had a go in it, awesome car, really fast and sounds amazing.
    But the petrol the thing drinks is obscene, he has since sold it on cus he couldnt afford to run it and has since bought a TVR Chimera, go figure!!

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. greenbrucelee

Here another question which might raise a bit on controversy.

My BMW was a cat d when I bought it, I knew that and I will tell anyone who is buying the car this however legally I don't have to.

I also know that if you sell a car privatley it is buyer beware so I don't have to tell them about any problems with the car but there are problems such as: the air bags don't work, the air con doesn't work and there is a small crack in the steering column.

do you think I should tell anyone looking at the car this?

4. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Are you mad?! Of course you should tell them! Things like the air bags not working can end up killing not only the driver, but other people in the car and other road users!

Sorry, but this kind of thing makes me angry!

5. greenbrucelee

airbags can kill people too, did you know that if your body/face less than 15cm away from the airbags that if they are deployed you may aswell not be wearing a seatbelt?

I wasn't told about the airbags not working and only found out 6 months ago after owning the car for a year and a half.

6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

GBL,

Don't be a tool...disclose the information because believe me it will come back and haunt you if you don't! You obviously got it at a cheaper price as you were informed of the Cat D status...so it's no loss to you! And you can take that from someone who had a friend that Part Ex'd a car for a new one...only to be told by the dealer that his old car was a Cat D and therefore they'd only offer £500 instead of £2000...he was fecking livid and eventually caught up with the @rse that sold him the car in the local nightclub!

What goes around comes around and believe me the ££££ isn't worth it!!!!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. greenbrucelee

thats why I thinking about selling it at auction instead of privately incase anything did come back, I mean it was only 6 moth ago I found out their was a fault in the airbag system and somebody had removed the bulb otherwise it would have been on to indicate the issue.

I tried to take the garage to court but he had gone bankrupt.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely. Their lives could depend on it. You don't want that hanging over your soul.

So what if you could sell it for more by not disclosing the problems? That's blood money, bro.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Well I am sure that people more qualified in car safety then you and me have weighed up the risks of having an airbag fitted and not having an airbag!

Do you know for a fact that the previous owner knew the airbags were not working when selling it to you? There is a world of difference between selling a car and not knowing the faults with it and selling a car knowing full well there are safety issues with it and not disclosing this information. Just sit down and think about it for a second, how would you like it if a member of your family bought a car with the issues you are discribing and then there was an accident caused by no fault of there own and they didnt live through it because of the safety devices not functioning as they should.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You have to tell the buyer mate. If it’s a small thing like the radio not working then fair dues, don’t say anything but you have to declare the Cat D status of the car.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. drum_dude

Just sell it as a Cat D on Pistonheads, or something like that, as that is the lowest form of write off mate and I believe it is normally applied to older big engined Beemers, Mercs and the like. Be honest about the sale and I recokon you'll get some petrol head snap it off you...a Cat A, B or C is a different story as that suggests structural damage. Air con and Air bags are not really Cat D related... most likely your Beemer got shunted or something like that!

It's no big deal with regards to the vehicle's structure, but to be honest I reckon you'll get a better price then at the auctions if you just flog it as a Cat D.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  12. drum_dude

Anyway, just changing the subject slightly...

I'd love to go for another performance car again i.e. Focus RS but to be honest the following really crippled me financially:

* FUEL costs...crikey!
    * Tyres...holy sh1t!!!
    * Servicing...they took the pish so much with the ST that I now do it myself!
    * Road Tax...£215 a year...my ST is 6 months outside the £400 group G...phew!
    * Driving like a pr1ck...GUILTY!

The upside? Well after years of non-stop insurance rip off prices, when I finally bought a performance vehicle of 230BHP I suprised to find that my insurance was only £290 a year fully comp with Priveledge! I was 32 at the time with full no claims, however, the insurance costs were the big surprise to me!

But anyway, I now try to get jobs that provide a car...seems the best way! But you never know...I may just get the Focus RS...one day!

13. greenbrucelee

The previous owner must of know because the air bag bulb had been removed as the light would have been on to indicate a problem or the garage where i bought it from did it.

I was gonna declare it cat d but wasn't sure if I need to mention all the problems with it. The car was in a small front end bump but nothing too major. i.e did need new panels or anything.

14. drum_dude

Just mention it mate...could be as simple as a faulty sensor! i remember my airbags failing on a Mark 1 mondeo...I'd just had a clutch change but for some unknown reason they had took off the steering wheel??? Turned out that they'd bust the airbag sensor thingy on the steering wheel and the system flagged it as a total fault! Just how the fvck they'd thought I wouldn't notice a flashing light on the dash was beyond me! I took it back to them and they fixed it pronto AND gave me a credit note for a free service.

15. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Just because someone did it to you doesnt justify you doing it to someone else. I guess we all have different ethics in life!

All I can say is I wouldnt be able to live with even the thought of someone being injured or losing their life because I held back that kind of info.

16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Agreed and repped.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5