What would be the first thing you done....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Jaron78, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

If you won the Lottery Jackpot?

Lets keep it at say 10 Million.

I must admit, sometimes when I am in the office and its a slow day, I do sometimes just sit and imagine what I would do. Would I go public? What Car(s) would I buy, Where would I live.

Apparently, when you win you call the Hotline and they process the claim. A Camelot bod comes round the next day and gives you loads of advice etc then says, Congratulations, you are a Winner. They then do a direct transfer into your account. They also set you up with Financial guidance etc.

So what would be the first thing you would do? Would you tell anyone?

I think the first thing I would do would be to get Mum and Dad round for dinner on Sunday and get the Lottery bod to turn up at the same time. That would be a nice surprise. They could then both retire and spend the rest of their days travelling around the world.

I would take a small group of us (Family and Friends) to do Vegas properly. First class, Suites etc and really see how the other half live. Pay off a few mortgages, buy a really nice house, take the Missus away on an amazing holiday (Bora Bora in style amongst other things) and generally, make everyone's lives that little bit better.

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I would invest in something, start my own business, I'd quit my job thats for sure. I'd prob go into the food business as thats my second passion.. well I say second, I enjoy it as much as IT.

3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

me and my 5 close friends have an agreement that if one of us won anything above 500,000, we'd split 10% of the winnings between the friends. we don't have time for syndicates so just go on that basis.

If i won 10mil i'd do the following in this order:

- Sort my friends their cut
    - 1 mil to dad, 1 mil to mum, 1 mil to sister.
    - Take all of my friends and family to an exotic location and pay for everything the whole trip
    - Buy a luxury car & motorbike (100k tops)
    - Buy a decent size house, no more than 1 mil
    - Start my own IT business

Hopefully have around 2-3 mil left in the bank to see me out.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

First thing I'd do is divorce the wife and get a younger eastern european model...

Jaron78 and Apexes like this.
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'd start writing full time, in a heartbeat. Buy a house on the seafront. Pay the mortages off for my two best friends, and my immediate family. I'd set up a small publishing house, and buy a couple of nice cars. I'd marry the other half and we'd go on honeymoon to St Lucia, and I'd do a ladies and lad's week away to Vegas, all expenses paid to my friends. All in all I'd still have around £4m for investing still, which would be more than enough to see me out for the long term, if it's invested right.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Pay off all my immediate families debt and give them extra to be comfortable
    Travel the world

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
    Jaron78 likes this.
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I would pay a few peoples mortgages off, possibly a holiday as well

For myself a decent house and a new car, nothing flash, new corsa etc. Few gadgets as well and live off the interest.

I would not go public at all, imagine all those begging letters and if not that then the threats from people who want your money

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    Jaron78 likes this.