What version?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Raffaz, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

What linux versions do u lot use and why advantages/disadventages etc? I know absolutely nothing about it, but wanna give it a go, ive got fedora 5 to instal, is this a good one.

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I've played with a number of distro's in my time, the first being Fedora Core 1.

The 'best', i.e. the one that I found the most useable and friendly was Ubuntu.

These days I'm not doing too much with Linux since I'm using a Mac and am still finding my feet with it. 8)

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Fedora Core 5 is supposed to be pretty good to work with. Right now I'm using Ubutnu 6.06 on my laptop for my day-to-day use and there are few (if any) things I can't do on Ubuntu that I did on Windows XP.

I use Debian to learn "old school" Linux but I probably wouldn't use it strictly for a desktop environment. OpenSUSE 10.1 is also supposed to be a pretty good distro to work with as a newbie. If you want to try Linux out without giving up Windows or having to set up a dual boot, try either the Knoppix or Ubuntu live CDs. You can run Linux from your CD drive without ever touching your hard drive.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Raffaz

im totally lost when it comes to linux, there are so many versions to choose from. Another quick question, how come linux is like 3gb but xp is like 550mb?? what takes up so much room?

Mick

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Lest we forget Simply Mepis 8)

Linux distros come bundled with more applications than you can shake a stick at hence why the download size is large, usually around 700MB.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And if you don't want the bells, whistles, doorknobs and other stuff you can get the size down to a fraction of the Windows load.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well I currently have Ubuntu installed in VMware and as soon as I get it the way I want it, I'm going to install it on my second desktop machine for my daily use.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  8. Raffaz

Well ive got fedora 5 setup on dual boot with xp pro, i like the look of the GUI, very impressed. If i only knew how to use it lol

Mick