What version is the N+ exam

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Matt_26uk, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

Hi all,

Just a wanted to know what version the N+ exam is? I thought it was updated to 2007 but reading on the compTIA website it still says the exam is 2005 version.

On the A+ exam it was 220-301 (2003) and is now 220-601 (2006) what is the N+ exam number and year? :oops:

Matt

Certifications: MCSA 2003, CompTIA A+, N+
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  2. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Exam N10-003 2005 Objectives

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It looks like comptia has small revision updates to the exam (between major releases). For example when I did the Sec+, even thought it was a 2002 exam, it stated it was the 2007 version.

But like Spilly said "Exam N10-003 2005 Objectives"

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

Thanks lads

Certifications: MCSA 2003, CompTIA A+, N+
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  5. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello all,

I've just been looking at the pearson vue CompTIA exams and it states - "Testing Programme: CompTIA Testing,Exam: N10-003: CompTIA Network+ (2007 Edition) Exam,Price: GBP 164.00".

There's no 2005 edition, now looking back can i asume this is just a slight change on the 2005 objectives? and nothing to worry about?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Best place to find answers to these kind of questions is with the source: www.comptia.org

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

the version i sat today was 2007

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  8. popeye67

popeye67 Bit Poster

it did say 2007 on mine too but objectives 2005 did cover it well.

9. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

The last upgrade was to the 2005 objectives. Updates (not upgrades) are made periodically to reword or change questions. This has no effect on the objectives to be used.

Bill

10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Don't certificate companies give a heads-up that its retiring a certificate? I'm thinking about A+ 2003 to 2006 - in this case, it sounds like the change for N+ wasn't any where as big especially as it didn't change the objectives.

Had me panicking there for a second!!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Usually they will give plenty of advance warning when they are retiring one exam and upgrading to a newer version. That's not what we're talking about.

In an update, usually the only things that change are the exam wording and certain questions to adjust for advances in technology or possible errors or controversial questions and answers that may prove to be somewhat confusing. The objectives are not edited or changed in any way at this point and are still applicable to the current exam.

In 2006, the A+ exam was upgraded from the 2003 objectives to the 2006 objectives. The 2007 Network+ has experienced an update to the 2007 exam based on the 2005 objectives.

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

But surely they can't mark you on the 2007 update questions?? if the books only cover the 2005 exam objectives??:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the link Tinus I am just looking at the N+ section now, Has anyone seen the picture thay have used on this link I can't believe anyone who works in netwoks would leave a cab/hub that messy? :biggrin

That's one of the first things they knock into our heads is to keep the patch cables tidy and the same colour unless it's a voice panel.:biggrin8)

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sure they can... they can change the exam daily if they want. They don't have to wait for books to be released. To be honest, the exam isn't supposed to test how well you can study from a book... it's supposed to test your knowledge of current networking concepts... whether they're in a study guide or not. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

True but if they ask questions like how to setup an extreme switch on a IP 10 address network and you've only covered or know of cisco switches. It's a bit unfair.

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Life isn't fair. 8)

Again, this exam is to see what experience you've got... not to see whether you can study from a book. That was what certification was designed to do.

Even if they do ask questions that aren't covered in the study material, you aren't likely to see that many questions that aren't covered that you can't logically eliminate some choices... at least, not enough of them to cause you to fail. You don't have to get 100% of the questions right... you just need enough to pass. And that's quite possible with the study materials out there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

UCheeky,

As Michael said, the exams can be changed at any time. The exam has been updated, not upgraded. That simply means that new questions have been added or older questions may have been edited for corrections or clarification. The question pools that are used for the exams are constantly changing. From time to time they announce an update similar to a software vendor releasing a new patch. You still need to know the same objectives.

Frankly, I like the process. The only people getting nailed by this, are the one's relying on braindumps as a means to pass the exams. Know the objectives, let the exam take care of itself.