What Tools do i need for computer repairs

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by vallumlj, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

I have been thinking about starting my own little business. Don't know how it works in the UK, but over here you can start an independent business after hours, whilst keeping your normal job. That way I could register a lot of my expenses to the business too.

The only thing that's keeping me at the moment, is the large pile of paperwork that comes with it, and the domain-name I'd want for the business already being taken :p

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeeeeeeah. So, what you're advocating - in all but name - is ripping people off? What's the difference between that and a bloke who comes to fix a roof tile but tells you that you need new guttering, twenty tiles replaced and new lead flashing?

Coming soon to Rogue Traders... :dry

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

That's just the way it is unfortunately, I have a few friends that do it successfully and know a couple of people who have attempted and failed, Its really not my thing so I just avoid it all together! Problem seems to be that if you charge by the hour and don't try and get further work have to charge £40-50 per hour and don't get the amount of clients they need, at the end of the day people are content knowing that their system is fully secured and protective measures are in place so its not really ripping them off and why should you be paid the same amount as a gardener when there is a higher level of skill involved?

4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'm sure there are a lot of roofers who will quite gladly give you advice on your options and not scaremonger (or outright lie). It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it. I believe that's what get's results.:biggrin

@asterix
    Gardeners come in many forms. Someone who basically cuts grass, trims hedges, rakes leaves, shovels snow and a bit of weeding on the side is like the 1st Line Support of gardening. I'm sure a gardener who can design and implement a garden to your specifications and troubleshoot successfully all the problems you might encounter (parasites, disease etc) might be worth a few bob.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

First off, those who are self-employed are idiots if they "don't try and get further work", and they really shouldn't be in business for themselves.

Second, you don't have to make "gardener's wages". I charge my clients $100 per hour, and they gladly pay it, because they love the service I provide. For what it's worth, several of my former employers charged a good deal more than that for my services... and the customers were pleased. It's all about value for the money. Would you rather pay $150/hr to have something done right, or would you rather pay $30/hr to have something done wrong? It's a no-brainer, and my personal clients agree. They've tried the cheap route in the past and were bitten because of it. I've lost track of the number of times I've had to clean up after "cheap tech".

Third, I don't ever - EVER - charge a markup on software and hardware... and the customer is thankful for it. They know I'm not trying to rip them off, because I give them vendor receipts of all purchases. Because of this, they know they can trust me to not rip them off on the hourly service I provide. Sure, I charge a premium for that hourly service... but they're paying for my knowledge and abilities... not for overpriced hardware or software. So not only do they gladly pay... but they come back again and again and again.

My point is... it IS possible to be profitable without taking advantage of the customer. Do what you will... but I operate quite a bit differently.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Agree with the first comment, and loving the second analogy (sorry if my last post offended any gardeners out there) 8)