What to study for?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by SteveH, Aug 31, 2009.

1. SteveH

SteveH New Member

Hello,

First post here but figured it would be a good place to task given i've referred to this place a few times before!

I've just finished University and got my degree in Computing Science (First - :biggrin). I also have an MCP in 'Installing Configuring and Administering Windows XP (70-270)'. Additionally i've studied CCNA and CCNP and just need to complete the exams at a center when I get a chance.

However I've decided my future for the moment lies in infrastructure and I currently have a job in a decent IT support role at a medium sized company. During university I also had a placement in IT Support where I got nearly 2 years experience.

Considing i've done the above MCP, and could utilise this towards my MCSE... what route should I take? I'm definitely going towards the server route... but would it be worthwhile to study 2008 or 2003?

Does anything have any decent link towards the pro's and con's of each, and the best exams to study along the way to complete it?

Best Regards,

2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The short answer is 2003 because the majority of companies are likely to be using it for some time to come. If you have a good look around the forums this very issue has been discussed at length several times recently.

Oh and welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

If you gain your MCSE 2003 its only 2 exams to upgrade to the top 2008 cert MCITP: EA. You can't work backwards from 2008 to 2003 without sitting loads of exams.

On another note, if you feel ready to take on your CCNA I'd do this first while its fresh in your mind. An MCSE can take anywhere from 8 months to a few years.

Welcome. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would recommend going for the MCSA for now, as you already have the 70-270 that leaves 3 more exams to do, then if you're into designing AD/domains then the MCSE. When you have the either or the MCSA/MCSE then do the MCITP: SA/MCITP: EA upgrades.

I recommend this due to experience and the following:

1. Windows 2003 is supported by MS for another 5 years (via extended support).
    2. Not every business will be rushing to upgrade their server to 2008, let alone 2008 r2 especially:
    a. When 2003 is still a good OS and suits business needs &
    b. The recession, money isn't as freely flowing now-a-days compared to 1 1/2-2 years ago.
    3. The MCSA/MCSE is still a great buzz word within recruitment, there are still alot of companies & recruitment agencies that don't know what a MCTS/MCITP is. By doing the MCSA then the upgrade, you'll increase your chances, imo.

-Ken

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. SteveH

SteveH New Member

Many thanks guys.

I am having a search at on the site at the moment to check for the other discussions! :) Like has been said, it has come up numerous times so I guess I should have searched first :oops:

All of the above makes sense and I think I understood that 2003 would be the route to take (regarding current job prospects), and i've taken onboard tending towards an MCSA first.

That being said, what should I take first out of the elective exams to get 'warmed up' so to speak :eek: I'll be self studying.

And regarding the CCNA I am concious that I need to get moving on this. I'm two months into my new job and just needed to get a bit of cash behind me before booking the exam but it'll be first on my list once I've revised a few of the topics.

Regards

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009