1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to study after A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by Stephen02, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Stephen02

Stephen02 Bit Poster

Hi guys, still waiting on my books to be re-delivered from amazon after they sent me an empty package.A colleague that works with my mum, He's in the IT department was saying that after I do the A+ it would be a good idea to study Security + before the N+.

Would you guys agree that studying Security+ after the A+ is a smart way to go?

Thanks for any help.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say that N+ was the better one to go for next. It covers the fundamentals of networking.

Security+ depends on a knowledge of networking in part.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do you have a couple of years experience securing networks? Because that's CompTIA's recommendation. Although I believe their estimate to be a little over-the-top, you should have at least a *little* real-world experience with securing a network before pursuing Security+. Therefore, like Harry, I also think you should pursue Network+.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Duelist

Duelist New Member

I just passed my A+, and I've started studying for the N+, like "hbroomhall" said in a previous post, Security+ covers securing a network. It would be good idea to go for the N+ as it covers networking fundamentals.

Certifications: DCSE, CompTIA A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+
  5. Stephen02

Stephen02 Bit Poster

Thanks guy's, Will do the N+ after the A+. I have some experience with networks but only in a personal sense of building one at my home. Will do A+ followed by N+ then Security+

Appreciate the help guys.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ and N+
  6. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Network+

7. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I would even consider Server+ over Security+ as a lot of positions (even entry level) require basic AD/Server 2003 knowledge. I may be wrong, but I'm not sure how much Security+ will help anyone with employment or how well known the certification is on the whole.

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The natural next progression should be Server+ and then N+, as the server cert would give you a basic to intermediate knowledge on active directory infrastructure, DNS and DHCP etc.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

That could tick a few boxes that seem to be lacking in my job search.

WIP: A+
  10. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I wouldn't let an entry-level tech on a server... and that's how most businesses think as well. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!