What to study 2006 or 2009 objectives?

Discussion in 'A+' started by jvanassen, Aug 25, 2009.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I have just started studying the 2006 objectives using software and books and am wondering where this will lead me, if i learn it all and take the exam before February will i then need to do the bridge exam that brings you up to speed with the 2009 objectives for it to be worth anything.

I would just start learning the 2009 objectives now and do the 2009 exam but there are no books out to learn it yet as far as i can see. Just had a look on Amazon and Mike Meyers Complete guide to the 2009 objectives doesn't come out till 13 October. I dont really wanna sit around for over a month not learning anything.

Or perhaps I should carry on learning the 2006 objectives for a month then when it comes to October, buy the book and see the differences.

Just wondering what people think i should do as im not to sure and theres probably people out there in a similar situation as me i would imagine.

Thanks

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. simonkn

simonkn Bit Poster

Hey Jvanassan,
    Not a lot of help, but just to let you know i'm in exactly the same boat as you and have been thinking the smae thing...

I'll be watching this thread with interest!
    SK

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you take the exams before january then learn the 2006 if your going to take them after that the 2009 ones.

To be honest if you get your head down you could have them both out of the way by Christmas or ealier.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

It's July 31st 2010 you need to take the 60x exams by*.
    At the moment, I think it's cut and dried: do the 2006 objectives. All the study material is out there already and you've got 11 months to nail it.

* GBL, it's not January, remember?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. zet

zet Byte Poster

I was thinking about this before deciding to do the 2006 objectives. What helped me decide was that there was no revision material for 2009.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  6. jvanassen

Yea sounds gd to me, this is what ive been doing for the last month just been learning the 2006 objectives but i did wonder whether i was doing the right thing. But once ive learnt and done this exam, ive seen on CompTIA website they will be doing a bridge exam to bridge already qualified people to the 2009 objectives. Do you think its necessary to then do this so that employers see your up to date?

If this is the case i hope that someone brings out some material like a book which just covers the stuff you need to know between 2006 and 2009 objectives if that makes sense.

Thanks for the help and your opinions so far.

7. thelonegunman

thelonegunman Bit Poster

Can i ask how you know this? i may have overlooked it but i couldnt find this info on compTIA.org, im 3 weeks into my 2006 study and do not want to stop because i may not be able to take the exams before january 2010.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Here: link

They've modified the dates... here's all we have to go on:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. greenbrucelee

Well if they would stick to a date then I wouldnt get confused.

10. jvanassen

Yea i remember a few weeks ago it saying July 2010 but i had a scan through the site the other day and it no longer says that on there.

11. thelonegunman

thelonegunman Bit Poster

Just tryed to email compTIA via there direct email address to see if anyone had updated dates, but all i got was an instant reply saying there email service is down, try again in a week! lol

12. greenbrucelee

Have you looked at the link BosonMichael has posted it quite clearly states the retirement date about 3 quarters of the way down the page.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  13. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Yeah. Neither would we.:confused2

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  14. hasnain721

hasnain721 New Member

*subscribes*