What to revise

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by checkmate, Dec 9, 2005.

1. checkmate

checkmate New Member

I wish to take the windows XP exam soon

Can you please advice me on what topics is best required and a must to pass this exam

Thanks in advance

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

All of them. :ohmy

You should never go into an exam feeling less than 100% confident in your abilities.

Take a look at the exams objectives here and make sure that you know how to do them all.

8)

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

What???? I only study the topics that interest me.... If anything else is on the exam that's MS's problem, not mine.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. checkmate

checkmate New Member

But from some people that have taken the exams..ive heard that their can be questions from other exmas too like the active directory exam questions can be in the clinet exam :rolleyes: is that so ...or are they just putting pressure to me lol

5. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

yeah it's not only about the xp machine itself, but also its interaction with servers.

as far as active directory...maybe a little, i can't remember, but be sure to know your group policy.

after all, it's alot about an XP machine in an AD domain, therefore you should know a little about it.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Any content listed in the official objectives is fair game and you can be tested on it. Having said that, when you actually take the test, random questions are drawn from the test database and loaded onto your testing computer. They can have any possible combination of questions. No two people take exactly the same test so even if you know people who have sat the exam and they tell you the test content (violating their non-disclosure agreement in the process), there's no guarentee that you'll end up getting the same questions they did.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have sat the same Microsoft exam twice (216) and there was absolutely no similarities between the two. Totally different questions, completely different amount of questions and different alloted time.

Be prepared to be bombarded with questions one after the other on any given topic mentioned in the exam objectives.

Expect your shallow knowledge to be used up in the question. By this I mean the things you have learnt and expect to be tested on will most likely be part of the question and not one of the available answer choices.

For example...

Nugget is the network administrator for goldenboy thong incorporated, he is deploying windows XP professional to 500 users in their London HQ. Nugget has decided to use RIS. All of the computers have a network card that is PXE capable and the NICs are on the HCL. He has made sure that there is one 10 GB partition on all of the client machines. Nugget configures a Server 2003 computer as a RIS server. He has checked and made sure that DHCP is available and working on the network and that an AD domain controller is contactable. All the client machines have the recommended amount of RAM and the hardware is all on the HCL. When Nugget boots up the client machines he notices that the installation isn't happening and that the client machines are not picking up an IP address.

What could be the reason for this? Chose all that apply.

1) Nugget is a very poor administrator and he hasn't pre-staged the RIS install.

2) Nugget forgot to authorise the RIS DHCP server

3) Nugget forgot to plug the client machines into a switch, he tried to use a hub instead.

4) Nugget didn't create machine accounts in Active directory and therefore the client machines don't have permission to access the database.

5 ) Nugget has run out of valid leases on his DHCP server and therefore the machines are being refused an IP lease.

6) Nugget forgot to set the client machines to automatically receive an IP address.

Anyway, you get the idea. They will push the complexity of the questions to find your weaknesses. They will expect you to know the basics so they won't bother asking very basic questions. It's the chose all that apply that makes things really tough. You have to be sure each answer does apply, one wrong means the question is wrong.

Study hard or you will regret it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Great advice there Pete, thanks. I like the "thong" theme :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i'd say "Nugget forgot to authorise the RIS server" is the most likely.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The word thong has a different meaning for Australians Boyce that is why I thought it was apt :twisted:

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

After getting that long sought after promotion in Bluerinse's custom footwear company Nugget finds that even he suffers from Homer Simpson moments when he realises he forgot to pre-stage the RIS install. Doh!!:oops:

True class mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Pre-staging is not necessary unless you only want specific boxes to receive the RIS image. To do this you would enter the MAC address of the appropriate NICs into the RIS server but that was not a pre-requisite of the question. :dry

It was only a spoof off the top of my head question but the prize goes to Omni. :thumbleft

The only really valid answer is that you need to authorise the DHCP component of the RIS server.

:D

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Who here thinks Bluerinse should start writing QOTW's in at least one Microsoft forum? Raise your hands. :cheers

Certifications: A+ and Network+