what to expect?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Danmurph, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Ive finally had enough of being a postman, have started getting back on track with my studies (had to put them on hold for a bit due to relocating and stuff). Ive started applying for jobs in first line support/junior helpdesk positions and am getting some interest,

I just wanted to ask people who have been in similar roles or interviews for these kind of roles, what generally is expected of you at this entry level position, just so I have an idea what to be enthusiastic about in the interview & how to be prepared for actually being good at my job,

Thanks people

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Good to hear you getting involved again!

I think showing enthusiam for the job and a willingness to learn are the key aspects of a entry level position. For me personally I was originally IT Support at my current company, but showing a willingness to learn, and a positive approach to any situation I found myself in, got me to where I am now. Of course alot of hard work and studying helped!

Little things like your manner with helping people, showing your willing to put extra work in when required, and also showing that your learning away from the job by putting your "free time" into studying will also help.

I guess the answers sound obvious. In my opinion if you've got the drive and ambition of doing well, which you obviously have by already having certs under your belt you've worked hard for, then you'll become a great tech.

Best of luck :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

First line support roles are 50% tech ability and 50% customer service skills. Certainly let prospective employers know about your level of technical ability and the study you are doing, but also be positive about any experience you have dealing with people and customers from previous jobs.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Exactly what Nightwalker said, you will have companies but more emphasis on Customer Service skills than IT skills.

As 1st line you represent the company and interact with the customers, therefore your soft skills are paramount.

Expect questions, such as if you have an angry customer what would you do and why? along with how would you configure Outlook to work with an Exchange Server etc.

There is some pretty great advice over int he Employment section.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5