1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mase2hot, Mar 15, 2006.

1. mase2hot

mase2hot New Member

Hi everyone,

ok I want to get back into IT as my job has come depressing and need extra money!!

From when I left school I got a job fixing laptops and PC's for about 2 years. The company went bust so I did some free microsoft training back in the year 2000. I passed network essentials and Implementing and supporting Workstation NT 4.0. I was unable to get an IT job so had to settle for more boring office jobs.

Its been over 5 years now and I want to get back into IT I was thinking of doing a MCSE 2003. Most jobs as for it as I I dont have 2 years recent exerience I need to do something. Just wondering if you guys have any other advice? I was also thinking of doing a evening course to brush up on the latest stuff. I'm still very capable with Pc's and laptops but lacking on the admin side of things as I never need to mess with servers/networks. The only network I use is my home wireless one. So in the job hunting side of things I'm a bit stuck, I know with a few weeks training I could do it as I'm a quick learner...

Any words of wisdom would be welcomed!!!! :biggrin

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The MCSE 2003 is a lot more involved than in the NT days. I would suggest you aim at MCSA first, as there is only four exams rather than the seven for MCSE and A+ and N+ can count as an elective.

A few weeks training combined with years of self study might get you through the MCSE but there is an awful lot to learn. It took me three years full time. I thought it would take me six months :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. mase2hot

mase2hot New Member

Thanks for the reply, Well I can do the MCSA and if I need to do the extra 2 exams for MCSE? Think I'm gonna start with Exam 70–290: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment first. Been on cramsession and got there study guide, helped me big time for my NT 4.0 exams...