what to do ???

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by robert.genero, Jan 11, 2010.

1. robert.genero

robert.genero New Member

hi all,

i have been reading the posts in this forum for a long time,

i graduated last sep with a 1st class IT degree in a bottom ranked university ( i consider myself to be a fast learner and a very bright person :oops:, i chose that university cos of financial reasons)

i have had a non-IT basic wage job in london, cos of my stupidity :rolleyes i quit the job yesterday,:blink
    i literally have no money at all:eek::blink::ohmy

and im feeling panic and have excess amount of adrenaline at this very moment now

i am extremely confident that i can finish ccna and A+ with in a month max:box2, would i be able to secure a job within a month???
    i previously did made no effort in applying for a job at all !!

in the mean time i will look for any job to pay for my piece of bread probably get it with in two week,

any advice/ comments/.......... anything please :confused3:confused3:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its not easy to land any job at present, many people spend many months looking for their next role.

I would say your approach is 'high risk' at best, generally applying in advance of leaving university and holding onto emplyment is the best option.

Good luck !

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Certs are all well and good, but it doesn't sound as if they should be your priority right now.
    Cramming for a month to get a couple of extra bits on your CV probably won't amount to a hill of beans in the current climate.

There are people around with certs coming out of their ears who still find it hard to land a job.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'll be honest, this climate, your grammar, and lack of qualifications and experience? You are unlikely to find a job in IT within a month, as for doing the A+ and CCNA within a month? I can't help but think it's bordering on the impossible. Why did you quit? I suggest finding a job anywhere right now, and I mean anywhere, you have no one but your self to blame.

Apply for graduate schemes with your IT degree, apply for apprenticeships, look at the job centre and connections website, as well as jobs boards online. Good Luck

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. robert.genero

robert.genero New Member

well i know paper certs are worthless and no IT experience= no nothing
    but .. i do have some brain, thats what tried to say

have had busted myself working 100 hours a week in basic wages to pay my uni fees,
    but just cannot accept reality??? or frustrated, may be i should become criminal like in the movies.......:eh:eh

thankyou for your comments all,
    will try to get myself some sort of employment to make sure i can eat next month

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Might I suggest, you stop talking on an internet forum and actually go wandering around your local shopping part looking for jobs? it's very unlikely your going to find a job within a month, lets just say you apply today, interview next week, a few more days to find out if you have it, then maybe 2 more weeks whilst they sort out your contract etc? your looking at a month as it is.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

Problem is OP as many have mentioned there are lot of 'us' out of work with 10+ years experiance and qualifications who cannot secure full-time work. The market is saturated and companies are not hiring.

Ref 100 hours a week minimum wage, thats £500 per week minus T&I thats more than £0 what i am bringing in per MONTH. but if you feel healthier then sobeit, health is more important than wealth.

good luck.

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  8. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

The only thing I can really add, is I wouldn't be looking at getting an A+ cert. The main reason being, whilst for certain careers it can be a good starting point, you already hold a degree in IT ( A+= Qualification to show the equivalent of 500 hrs bench exp). CCNA I wouldn't think that a month would be long enough to gain it unless you already have a vast amount of networking/subnetting, switching routing experience. As most will tell you certs are very handy and important but only when backed by experience.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  9. robert.genero

robert.genero New Member

thanks for the ccomments/advice/reply guys!!!

you guys really made me feel better :)