What to do what to do?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by SVista, Apr 4, 2008.

1. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

Hello,

I'm v.new to the forums but so far the advice and encouragement has been spot on. I work in 1st/2nd line support for a media company, I have been employed since jan 07 and it's my first IT job. The company have paid for my a+ exams of which i passed 220-601 and will book 602 on monday for next week some time. I have my appraisal in a fortnight and they have agreed to give me a payrise (figure not yet decided) on passing the exams. They are also then willing to pay for N+ and MS certs. I realise thats a great opportunity to have the company fund everything as far as i'm willing to go. What sort of pay can i expect being a+ certified?? I currently support end users over the phone, build, test and repair client machines, setup routers and keep an eye on 300+ clients via VNC/pcanywhere. If the pay increase is not great would it be better to look elsewhere? Is it common for companies to fund training 100%?

Any help with this haphazard bombardment of questions would be muchos appreciated!!

Cheers

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No most companies do not pay for your certs they expect you to do it off your own back. I would stick where you are until you get a few more certs under your belt like the N+ and MCDST then if the progression prospects don't look that good then move on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd go with what GBL has advised as its spot on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

I too would agree with GBL.

Not all employers will pay for you to do certs. You're going to get certs and have experience too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Some companies pay for your training, some don’t. A few guys in my work have been sent on college courses which have been absolute crap to be honest. All they did was give out BDs for the exam.

As GBL said if you rack up some experience and gain some more certs you will be better placed to move on to a better job and hopefully more pay. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Most places I've worked will pay for books and exam fees... but they will NOT pay for training courses.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies guys, some food for thought. I think keep doing certs while they are willing to pay for them and with 2-3 years experience to go with the certs hopefully i'll be in a fairly good position.

TTFN

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+