What to do after certs with no experience

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Richie1888, May 7, 2009.

1. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

thanks for the advice guys I think im going to seriously think about another job to get more exposure to different things.

Certifications: See Sig
    WIP: Security+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Because the CCNA is based on Cisco products and the Network+ is based on networking.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Apart from it being pretty easy if you think your ahead of N+. It doesnt over qualify you and might help towards getting to were you want.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  4. kevndcks

kevndcks Bit Poster

I almost came close to taking the CCNA exam so I know the CCNA modules very well. I am 3/4 into Network+ and it has been a very worthwhile learning curve for my network knowledge. A lot of things which after reading you think, "hell this is networking based, but I didn't read that in my CCNA studies or even come across it!". For example, it's a small example but until Network+ I didn't know about the SMB protocol and requester protocols (theory I was confused about until reading) and another one was the nbtstat command so I can view resolved NetBIOS names in cache. There are many things to learn in Network+, I used to regard CompTIA as a basic poor cert according to CCNA, CCNP etc. CompTIA is vendor-neutral and covers Novell and Microsoft networking, since when do most computer users use Cisco Routers, they don't. However they may use Microsoft products like NT, XP, Server 2000-2008 as routers/ gateways and networking devices. It is not to be overlooked. Gets my A* + rating ;)

5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

you really want to move out of helpdesk. trainee network engineer jobs are few and far between. try move jobs to somewhere you will get exposure to networking side of things, but also building up desktop/server support experience.

I worked in an IT dept of two, we had 4 sites, and i started off just doing desktop support, got myself in about server admin, then setting up Cisco ASA then moved to a new job in a team of network engineers for an oil and gas company. At the same time, keep your eye out as you never know about these trainee network engineer roles, something might crop up. One of the guys in the network team here went from helpdesk (at a different company) and got a position with the network team here and was trained up. (like i said though these roles are few and far between)

Both of us got our positions without having Cisco certs.

Best of luck

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

as Daniel says above, trainee roles are few and far between particularly at the moment as its still very much an employers market out there and they can pick and choose what they need from an impressive pool of unemployed.

Pick up some MS certs as others have suggested and get out looking for a second line (or even a different first line) where you can get some exposure to the higher levels of the network. I'd stop your studies for the Cisco certs for a bit as well, as others have said you need experience to make those certs relevant.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

And yet another reason why certs are becoming more and more worthless, they are not the ****ing means to an end, they are the end, they show you have the required knowledge and experience to actually have the certification, not the reason to do the job.

I honestly wish that both companies and people stop using certifications as a means to justify a particular job.

Because Cisco start with the CCENT and then move to the CCNA\CCDA then the CCNP\CCDP and then the CCIE. It's a progressive step to getting your certs, the CCNP is and never was aimed at someone with no commercial experience and by getting the CCNP and having no real world experience not only are you harming your chances of work but also the hardwork that those who actually do have the experience and the certifications, because it's then that people view the certification as pretty much worthless.

Learn to walk before you can run, gain the experience over time and earn the right to the certification

As above, you have to start off with the lower end of support work and work up towards the higher end, you can't expect to work on routers\servers with say only 6 months of commercial experience. Any company that lets an engineer with only 6 months experience and a CCNP are just asking for trouble because whilst they passed the exam (for example all they did is pass the Cisco exam using the Cisco way) they don't know that passing an exam and working in the real world are completely different.

My advice? take smaller steps, learn the real world way rather than just the educational way and take it slowly and surely.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Richie you are missing one vital thing. Having high level certs without the experience to back those certs up will only make your joib search harder.

No network manager in the right mind will employ an CCNA certified person that does not have the experience, however a network manager would employ a Network + certified person in an entry level position, give them experience and then when they have built on that experience then the manager will expect them to up the networking certifications along the the routes of CCENT and then CCNA.

Well that's whats happening to me anyway.

And Rep to Fergal for his post.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Pssst... guys... this thread is 10 months old... :unsure

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

oh bugger

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

well arse...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. BosonMichael

I can get you a time machine so you can go back and advise him proper... :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?

14. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

shhh. I got rep out of it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  15. BosonMichael

Great Scott!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Shall we just pretend this didn’t happen and move on....

People got rep so it’s all good.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. BosonMichael

Pfft! I got nothin! :dry

I know! I'll go back in time and post Fergal's post... and I'll get the rep! :hhhmmm

Marty! Time to go back! 8)

18. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Why don't we make like a tree and get outta here?
    :lol:

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  19. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Richie is prob a CCIE now :p

20. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Is the OP still an active member and if he is could he give us an update on how he got on?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP