What skills or certs got you your job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mattwest, Apr 6, 2004.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi everyone...

I'm interested in starting a discussion on what skills, certs or qualifications got you your job in IT?

What skills etc do you think will be good for the future or will help you land that job?

This is what i feel got me my job:

A couple of years IT experience, both part and full time.

A broad range of certs, self taught showing a passion for IT.

A career history that didnt involve lots of job "swapping" showing commitment.

Good interpersonnal skills.

I also feel that in the future business skills such as project management and general business knowledge (terminology etc) will help us IT pro's do well.

I dont think there is a particular cert i feel would really give me an edge in the market (with the excpetions of really high end certs) but a broad range is good.

What are your thoughts?

Does anyone feel MS certs are "a dime a dozen?" these days?

Just interested in starting a bit of a debate and thought this topic might be useful for those new to IT.

Matt

:)

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

In relation to the above, here is an interesting article.

Link

It suggests 25% of IT jobs could be outsourced by 2010 and those with IT AND business skills will be the ones to survive.....

Matt

(25% - Scary!)

:?

Moderator Note SimonV: Shortened link to remove horizontal scroll

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Well my MCSE and CCNA were key to getting my last two jobs, they were a requirement for me even to get an interview. As for what I'll need for my next job, who can tell. I will definitely be keeping the certs I do have current. The MS certs may be a "dime a dozen" but they are still worthwhile, with Windows holding a strong position in the workplace having the certs can't be a bad thing.

The need for business skills depends on where you are in an organisation, I'm reaching a point where I need more business skills as well as the technical skills. Hence my pondering the Project + cert amongst other things. Work will be sending me on training for our shiny new SAN, so depending on the training I think doing exams following that may be worthwhile.

..... so many exams, so little time :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Wow! I'd love to have a shiney new SAN to play with, but our company is too small! (and tight !) :x

(I'm looking forward to the shiney new IBM Blade server thats on its way :D )

I agree with some certs being required for an interview, so its good to have them, but i'd hope that some hirer's would look at people with experience or other qualifications too.

Too many exams, so little time.... i couldnt agree more!

Shame the exams costs so much as well!

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

we got a shiney new SAN before i left my old company, but they were too tight to send us on training, instead we were supposed to just trial and error until we were comfortable, then roll it out live, cor do remind me never to invest in that fund!! the most abysmal IT management i've ever seen!! (well maybe second)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Skills and certs. Actually, my A+ and CCNA have been instrumental in getting me most of my jobs. I think if I had any MS certs, that would certainly have helped. Even writing jobs have somewhat hinged on my cert. I did a few chapters on Layer 3 and 4 switches and although they weren't Cisco, I'm sure my CCNA (and to a smaller degree my Net+) scored me that one. A lot of my jobs came from having an A+. When it comes down to it, the hardware still needs to be maintained.

Remember, those are all entry-level types of jobs. They get your foot in the door. Beyond that, it's time to look for a niche and specialize.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm sure it was the MCP's that I had that got me into IT (210,215,216 at the time). IT staff consisted Director of IT, Network Manager, Service Manager and 2 Techs. My position was new to help the Network Manager look after the phone system.

When I started I was (and still am) the only M$ qualified person in the Dept. The 2 tech's both have degrees in computer science.

Got to keep up with the certs though and keep current. Shall try and persuade the school to pay for the exams heh heh.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

When i was working at a school i got them to pay 50% for the exams, not great but better than nothing....

Boy they were tight!

But i did take about 14 exams in one year :D :lol:

9. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

Exprience has played the biggest part in my career so far. some of which was gained by studying, but each exam I've passed I've been lucky enought ot have "implemented/worked with" most of what I was studying at at the time.

IMHO some people can get to "hung" up on certs and treat them as the sole answer.... don't get me wrong, I have learnt more studying for the MCSE and CCNA than I would have, by just doing my job. I think what I'm trying to say here is that, a cert is just a piece of paper, what is really important is the knowledge that goes with it. (As a side issue, some advice I was given and it is true, is that you should learn the material so that your comfortable with it and not just enough to pass the exam.)

Having said all that, I'm meeting with my Manager tomorrow to discuss posiable changes and my future partly in the network area (This is obviously off of the back of passing the CCNA..... so it has had a part to play) as our main network guy is moving onto a security role within the department. Will let you know the basics of whats discussed (assuming its allowed to be public knowledge :))

10. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

I think my enthusiasm got me the job :) Altho I've just about finished HND computing I don't really think thats what did it. It was definately me they wanted, coz I made them laff :D

11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

None!

Not quite the sweeping statement that it sounded. Certification is only part of the package that comes with any candidate all they prove (IMHO) is that they can work at a level. But, there is more to IT than the geeky stuff (yes we all love it) but 75% of my job is talking to managment, users, suppliers & customers about the needs of our organisation. :oops:

12. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I'd agree with you there.

When i went for my first IT job, i was up against 2 other guys who hands a higher grade of tech skills and an extra 1 year of experience than me.

However i had the commnuciation skills and common sense and that was the key factor of me getting the job. (Ability to learn new skills also).

So NEVER under rate the value of strong comms skills, when it comes to users, clients, staff and management.

My 2 cents.... :roll:

:D

Matt

13. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I had no certs when I landed my first support role and still only have A+ and an MCP so they must have seen something they liked.

Personally I think it was my experience as a tutor that got me the job, as you say communication skills and common sense are essential in this industry. A lot of my time is taken communicating issues and resolving problems with the the "not so IT literate" members of staff.

The certs will come into play when I'm ready to move and I need proof of my abilities.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  14. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

The do help in paper sifts...

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

In my case, I suppose it was a mix of both (paper) knowledge, and sheer enthusiasm - although given that I had a heavy cold on the day of my interview, so I was doped to the eyeballs on paracetemol, who knows what I said when I went in ... :roll:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Sounds like now ehh Gav :lol: :lol:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Sounds like it must have been an"interesting" interview :lol: