Problem What should I hate? Windows 7 Ult. or ATI?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by albertc30, Apr 4, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.
    In the past 3 hours my system has developed an ulcera...
    It crashes more than it rains here in the UK and the only way I can be posting this post is on safe mode with networking.
    I got rid of my ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 due to the crashes I was having related to the VGA card as reported by the system.
    So I rolled back to not a so good onboard, yet again, ATI Radeon HD 4200, which I might add, had served me quite well when I first got this motherboard, ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO but now, just as the dedicated card, it's crash after crash.
    I have done a BIOS update yesterday and the system has been up and running since with no problems.
    Have done a whole 90 minutes of video encoding from my holidays and it was sharp as a knife.
    What is, in your opinion, the culprit to this? The Microsoft new OS Windows 7 that, just as any new OS when released, is out with lots and lots of bugs or is the ATI brand that always since the age of stone has always been a problem with their drivers?
    What a nightmare. I have a pic here of the crash for you guys and girls have a look at and comment on it please.
    Anyone out there with similar problem?
    I was always fan of ASUS but I am really considering buying something that keeps itself separated from ATI at all costs.
    I knew ATI had been allot of trouble in the past but surely I expected that nowadays they had surpassed all those issues they had back in the past but apparently they still hunt them, or better yet, US.
    Any comments on this more than welcome.
    Cheers.
    Albert.

Attached Files:

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. albertc30

Just went to ASUS website and funy enough there are no BIOS available for this motherboard as we speak.
    Yesterday there was 3 BIOS files available there so one must only conclude that something is realy going on with this last version.
    What on earth is going on?

Sorry, on the support website they are there, just got the previous one.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. albertc30

I must say that I did add two more sticks of ram (2x2GB 1333Mhz OCZ3P13334GK) same as the ones I already had on my system.
    I'll have those checks done ASAP.
    Cheers.

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Stop 7f errors with a modifier of 0x0 are indicative of a buffer overflow, which doesn't help you - as it could be caused by... well, anything at all really. I'd agree with BR - it's most likely (but not guaranteed) to be RAM. Since you've gone back to an older GPU, it's most likely the RAM on the mobo, and not the video DRAM.

BTW, you can't blame MS for problems caused by faulty drivers, or moody hardware. Graphics card drivers, in particular, are - and have been for as long as I can remember - the absolute bane of existence for anyone who is into upgrading. ATI/Nvidia cram as much sh**e into their drivers as possible, never test them properly and just keep releasing bugfix after bugfix. It's surely no coinicidence that, as a non-gamer who doesn't give a monkey's toss about fancy graphics cards and/or drivers, I never get BSODs (haven't had one for about seven years - and that was caused by a borked dimm)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. albertc30

Denial, denial, denial... I can't believe this.
    I wanted so badly to blame onto the ATI drivers and a not so perfect OS but sadly my new memory modules are dodgy.

Memtest86+ v4.00 is showing so far 307 errors and counting.
    I guess I will have to endure the harsh process of a RMA. I haven't done one of these in years.
    Has anyone had one with OCZ and how did they behave?

The whole thing is just bananas, won't even let me open Internet explorer, winrar, iso software, and basically does not let me work with it.
    I was so happy with having 8GB ram o the pc for my video editing and look at what's happening, d***.
    Thanks you guys.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I think they RMA from The Netherlands, overall not a bad experience, better than Asus (3 months to RMA a motherboard) whereas BFG took 2 weeks.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. albertc30

This is getting a bit confusing.
    I am starting to belive that the motherboard is the culprid of all of this.
    For some reasson I do not yet know, the memory sticks are being detected by Memtest86+ v4.00 as motherboard memory slolt 1 = 666Mhz, slot 2 = 200Mhz, what a hell?
    Some modules that have reported errors on a second run show no erros.
    Why is it that Memtest86+ v4.00 is detecting 666Mhz and 200Mhz in diferent slots?
    Cheers.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmm, i have moved away from Memtest and now use Microsoft's offering as i find it actually works.. give it a try

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

10. albertc30

Just did mate but it won't recognize all 8GB.

Anyways, haveing puting the memorie sticks in and out I have noticed that they get quite hot. Could this cause the errors?

I am working on a table with all the checks, testing the memory sticks individually and on every single slot and recording the results however, I have had a failure one time and tested again under same conditions and it passed.

I will use the microsoft as well. I'll test stick by stick on every memory slot.

I'll post here the results soon.

Cheers.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is typical of an 'intermittant fault', and they are the hardest faults to trace. So, a failure is a failure, whether or not it passes the test at some later point.

12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually rather than testing in a lab\test environment I would put the machine back together and run the tests again then, I would also test all memory at once and leave it running for hours rather than minutes.

Normally if I am building an overclocked machine I would leave memtest86+ running for a good 12 hours, only if it had a clean run would I consider the overclock a success.

A silly question for you however. You do have the memory running at the right voltage don't you? I have experienced in the past an issue where the memory wasn't actually getting enough volts and it would cause issues.

Go to the vendors site, find out exactly what the memory voltage should be and then go into the BIOS and ensure that the voltage is set correctly. Also I would have a look at your timings, use the exact timings recommended by OCZ and use the 2T rather than 1T setting (more resilient than 1T and more forgiving). Again when I OC I make sure that the voltage is right (even increase it if I need to but start at the required voltage and move up in increments).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  13. albertc30

Hello SimonD and everybody.
    This is truly very good advice I must say. I have, when I first bought this system nearly 6 months ago, had system crashes, reboots and freezes. When I investigated, I found out that it was due to the memory's voltage. Apparently, so I was told, the memory I have purchased "OCZ Platinum Edition P/N=OCZ3P13334GK" is an overclockable memory. Therefore, the BIOS won't detect its settings on BOOT. This was why, I had on boot 1066Mhz. This I had corrected at the time but totally neglected the voltage, which was being detected by the normal 1.5v default. After I changed it to 1.8v, the memory’s voltage, system was up and running and passed a stress primetest, which was left running for 16hours.

This memory’s settings are 7-7-7-20 @ 1.8v.

This is all done on BIOS manually. I am still doing some more test to it and will post them here. I just want to make sure that I target the right problem here so that I can send the default item to repair, either the motherboard or the memory.

One thing is bothering me is the fact that even the first memory I had on the system, has come up with errors. It passes all 3 memory slots and on the forth one comes up with errors, which leads me to suspect of a defective memory slot, but like I have said, I am still running more tests and will post them here soon.

Thanks everybody.
    Albert, C

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  14. albertc30

What a nightmare.
    Even the old memory sticks I got have now given me one error under Memtest86+ v4.00.

What can one do? Would you keep memory that has not pass Memtest86+ v4.00?
    This old pair never gave me any problems.

If I have to return booth pairs I'll be with non working system for GOD knows how long for.

Thanks you guys and bring on the comments.

15. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If previously known good memory is reporting bad don't assume it's the ram, I think you now need to start testing the ram in another board just to get a conclusive result on whether its the board or the ram.

As it stands now I really would steer towards a crapped out memory controller.

16. albertc30

By a crapped out memory controller you mean in the motherboard?

17. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Yes, by testing the memory on another board and either getting a clean bill of health or not you can then determine whether it's the motherboard or all of your ram.

18. albertc30

This is my report so far. No yet finished as the test is still running.

Any comment well comment.

It would be nice to test this memory on another memory but that means buy another board.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Where abouts in Norfolk are you? I know it's not close but I am back home from Saturday and I am willing to assist in testing the memory if you so wish? It would obviously mean you coming to me but it's your call.

I also have some Corsair ram sitting at home (DDR3 1333 stuff waiting to go into a board), as far as OCZ ram goes, I actually sold my last lot because it didn't like my old S2E too well.

20. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

You might just have a motherboard which isn't compatible with the rest of your gear. It's happened to me as well.

I'd swap the mobot and the same issues would remain. Did it twice, and no resolution. Tried another mobo and all was good.

Not all hardware plays well with each other, that's why manufacturers occasionally have lists of qualified hardware that plays good and well with their stuff.

Thin of it like this. You buy a small hatchback from Ford or Mazda and decided to swap in a Porsche engine. Before you know it, you're having issues because the fuel pumps can't feed the thirsty engine with enough fuel to keep it running, and the engine mounts give way and the engine flies out of the car... some stuff just doesn't work together out of the box.

Hope you work it out.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM