What should I do next ?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kareem1000, Apr 24, 2008.

1. kareem1000

kareem1000 New Member

Hi,

I'm currently doing a CCNA course which is due to finish this june.

The question what should I do next.

To achieve CCNA certification seems very difficult, 85 per cent pass mark seems very difficult. i'VE been informed that unless you have CCNA certification, you have no chance of finding a relevant position.

I'm not sure if I want another 2 years of study with the CCNP. And anyway I'm don't know what the pass mark is with CCNP, and I don't know how difficult the course is.

Should I enrol on a MCSE course ? If I do obtain an MCSE, how likely is it that I'll find a relevant position ?

Is there any other route/option availiable to me?

Regards,
    Kareem

2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi Kareem.

First of all, welcome to CF.

Sounds like you're doing a heck of a lot of studying.

Are you currently employed in IT?. If you're not, then you're going to struggle to get a job. The certificate without the experience to back it up means little to many prospective employers.

You're best looking to get the likes of CompTIA A+ and Network+, while trying to get yourslef an entry level position (first line support).

The likes of MCSE are specifically aimed at those people who have been techs for at least 12 months, and who have a level of experience that allows them to take (and pass) the exams based on that experience and some studying to bone up on weak areas.

Good luck

John

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What is a relevant position? Working with Cisco kit?

To get your hands on Cisco kit you really need a solid background in networking (not just from books) and to get a solid background in networking you generally progress from a desktop\server admin type job. 8)

As already said the A+ and Network+ are great certs to aim for if you are just starting out in IT. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The others are right: unless you have experience, you have no chance of finding a relevant position, even with certification. The same is true of the MCSE and other certifications geared toward experienced techs, not entry-level techs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. mke

mke Bit Poster

thought to contribute to this little topic too :p
    i have a BSc in Network Administration & Security, an MSc in Music Production and currently studying for CCNA and beyond. Finding an IT jobs is not easy from my point either. I am working as a customer support agent for vodafone and only after 1 year in non relevant IT role they approached me to do some ground work with IT part-time, meanning that i still wont get paid more or have a proper IT job title. i will be just helping out IT department once in every blue moon from what i gather. eventually after probably again 1 year they will bump me up to a hopefully IT related role...
    Dunno if that is the norm, but heck it seems like a long ride to get where everyone wants to be in. so keep pushing and u'll get there.

who am i to talk he? well just ur average joe ;o

anywho goodluck dude with ur path, would recommend CCNA/CCNP, not microsoft certs, and possible some other networking/security certs plus some linux ;p

dunno my idea and possibly path..
    anywho, i'll let someone else bug u

tata

Certifications: ?
    WIP: CCSP
  6. kareem1000

kareem1000 New Member

Hi,

I have been lead to believe that with certification I stand at least a chance of finding relevant work.

Are you guys certain/sure about your assertion that without experience I would have no chance.

Just to give you more details of my background, I used to work as a computer programmer. However after being made redundant and a lack of oppurtunities thereafter, I decided to retrain in Networks. I haven't worked as a programmer for a good number of years.

I Also find it hard to understand why there is a lack of opputunities in Networking, when the demand for Networking/Internet services is growing so rapidly.

Regards,
    Kareem

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Who has led you to believe that? Training schools? If so, know that they're looking for your money. They stand to gain by telling you that certification is a magical pass to get you a dream job in networking. I also stand to gain by telling you the same thing, because I create IT certification training products for a living. But despite that, I'm telling you the opposite. Why? Because that's what I've experienced - and heard/seen others experience - in my 10 years in IT, both as an IT certification trainer and as a senior network admin.

Without experience administering networks... at all... then why would an employer hire you over someone who has administered networks? Because you passed a few exams? Gotta look at it from their perspective, man. Who would you hire?

There ARE plenty of opportunities in networking... but there are plenty of experienced techs to go around who are hired for those opportunities. If you want a career in networking, you'll likely need to start at the bottom and work your way up. Sorta difficult to just "jump in" in the middle.

To put this in perspective for you... let's say I wanted to find a new job, and I no longer wanted to be a senior network admin. Would you hire me for a senior programmer job, even though I haven't written a bit of code before? Even if I got some certifications? That's basically the same thing that you are attempting.

Hope this helps describe why certifications without relevant experience aren't very useful. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. sachin

sachin New Member

hi,

I am currently working in wireless company as DSP (digital signal processing) RTOS developer where my work mostly includes debugging application in DSP chips and adding some new features in RTOS. mostly i work in assembly language.

i have recently got an opportunity to work in Linux kernel debugging where mostly my work will be related to debugging kernel and user space and trying to figure bugs in kernel/ application. this job is within same company i m working.

i am bit confused. i want to have ur suggestion on this. Being in 3 years on same job i feel to be in comfort zone but here there is not much career growth.

Will it be good decision to change my domain to Linux kernel debugging? is future secured and growth is good? is there good demand of Linux kernel debugging guys?

i will appreciate any of your suggestion for my questions

Thanks
    sachinc

9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hi Sachin,

Please create ONE NEW thread in the relevant Forum, you are unlikely to get the answer you seek if you hijack others threads.

thanks

David

10. ASRsystems Andrew

ASRsystems Andrew New Member

Hi Kareem

I am a true beleiver that the more relevant certs you have the better, as long as you have some real life hands-on experience to back it up with (even if you got most of that experience at your home lab).

So... suggest you ensure you have a mini lab with a couple of routers & a switch to practice on every evening and weekend you have free to keep fresh (if you have not already got that), and search for any low paid IT role to get your foot in the door.

I started at Computercenter just bulding PC's for 3 months (which was very basic and poorly paid) but then got my first 1st line network role from there after trawling Jobserve constantly, and having Computercentre on my CV.

Personally I found getting new jobs much easier after I got my CCNP (strangely enough I found the CCNP easier than the CCNA) albeit 4 times longer of course. But dont let the workload put you off. If it was easy to get then everyone would be CCIE!

Regards

Andrew

Certifications: CCIE
    WIP: CCVP