What salary are you seeking?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by flex22, Dec 18, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've got this question on an application form.Never had this in this direct wording before.

I've no trouble with directing it back at them, heck no, I'll give them an answer alright.

Trouble is, what answer :?:

I haven't any idea what wage to put.It's for a systems assistant.

Here's a breakdown:

- knowledge of computer networks
    you can probably tell that I know the basics, though I'm still getting to grips with this networking world.I do have a diploma in networking essentials from Computeach though.

- Windows NT/2000
    I haven't passed my MCP's yet but I broadly know all of the concepts for the first exams and am nearing proficiency.However, some areas do cause me some difficulty but these I'm trying to remedy through extra study and lab partners i.e unattended installs :oops:

- Microsoft Office
    Well, I'm working on this.When I really need to, I can accomplish most basic tasks with a quick read up.However, I admit that I do need to improve, that's why I'm doing something about it.

- Good analysis skills
    Blowing my own trumpet on this one.I think I have excellent analysis skills.

- Knowledge of web development would be an advantage
    I have none.However, I'm up for learning anything, and I'm very adaptable.Therefore because I'm not shying away from this and am confident that I can undertake the challenge, this should give me some points.However, this is unproven in the workplace.

Going on the fact that I have no prior experience in networking in the workplace, but that I have showed and contine to show commitment in pursuit on knowledge, how much should I ask for :?:

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can't answer your question directly, but I remember the first time I came across this. A recruiter called me wanting to do a one day job. We talked about the requirements and he gave me a little quiz over the phone. Then he asked what my pay range was. I was stunned. I sort of knew it was coming but had no idea what to say. I turned it around and told him I'd prefer to hear his best offer. He gave it and I accepted it. Since then, I've done a bunch of contract work and developed an idea of what to ask for. Some jobs, the rate is fixed and that's that. Now I just give them a range from this to that and let them pick where in that range they want to start me. Eventually, the range will scale up as my skills improve and expand.

I'm still having trouble with the writing stuff. I take what they offer because I'm not really experienced at it yet. I've been told it's on the low side. When I've built up a bit, I'll start negotiating or higher pay. That's about all I can say on the matter. Hope it helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Trip.

I'm going to have to post this soon so might not be able to wait around for the others, nevermind, their advice will help for future applications anyway.

I agree Trip, that you gain more of an idea once your in the zone and you get more of a feeling as to what your value is, through what you know you can do and how well you do it.
    Also through relevant references.

Just awkward knowing what to put, like you say.Netherless I have attributes which are easily transferrable to this role from previous roles, even though those roles weren't IT specific.

I'll go with a modest figure, but also I won't do myself down.

4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Flex

I always give them a figure if you want £15,000 say so if you want £20,000 say so.

May I be so bold as to reword your answers

Here's a breakdown:

knowledge of computer networks

I hold the Computeach diploma in networking. I have built a network of nn computers in my home lab running Window 2000 using TCP/IP. I am currenlty designing a worldwide network with other members of the www.certforum.co.uk website

Windows NT/2000

I am currenlty working on my first MCP 70-XXX and hope to sit it in XXX in the long term I aim to pass my MCSA/E

With work I am doing in my lab and with www.certforum.co.uk has given me an indepth expreance of W2K

Microsoft Office

I am a user of Office and use XXX, XXX, XXX on a day to day basis.

Good analysis skills

Naturally are excellent.

Knowledge of web development would be an advantage

I have not had the opertunity to widen my skill set into this area but understand the basics.

If I was looking at the text you had given it would not tell me anything about you - most CV's are read in less than 30 seconds - punch them with facts make it easy to read, tell them what you have done and are doing!

HTH

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

The titles I gave were from the job description.They aren't the actual questions in the application form, therefore those weren't the actual answers I gave.The answers I gave were so that people could give me an estimate of what wage they think is reasonable.
    Sorry for going on, just making that clear.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.My actual CV is very short and to the point, like Sandy said they should be, which is why I get positive responses.

I did point out that I have no problem with giving a direct answer.However, my problem was resolving to that answer, due to not having worked in IT before.Although I do have a home network, actually resolving real world problems and what I can count as irrefutable real world experience, only come's from having had a real job.

Thanks for all the advice.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Flex,

Have a hunt around Monster - might be able to help you some more.

I can't remember what kind soul posted that for me recently - but even though, when asked the same salary question, I used Monster to draw up a desirable salary, my new employer (damn, that still sounds good !) totally ignored me and told me what I was getting (KP, anyone ? :) )

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Gav,

It was me ,me ,me.

:D

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member