What 'root' should I take (and if anyone finds that funny they should get out more)

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by shaunyboy, Oct 7, 2004.

1. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

A general request to anyone with an opinion.

I've been interested in Linux for a while now and now have Suse 9.1 as my day to day computer (altho I can no longer get access to my main user account, keeps kicking me out after establishing the desktop... any clues?).

I've done a couple of evening classes already and would recommend anyone to do the same, more fun than reading a book and now I want to progress my interest into a career especially as the MCSE is seriously devalued now (in the UK anyway) but don't know which 'root' (no funnier the second time) to take.

Part of me wants to go sown the Suse/Novell route, starting with the Linux+, mainly because I think it is a rising star with an established base (and a friend I know supports lots of netware networks) but part of me thinks the RHCE would be a real challenge and show genuine skill, something the MCSE is no longer valued as.

Or is it all to much hassle?

Shaunyboy

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

For what it's worth it depends on where you are. Definately go for the Linux+ as this is a general cert for Linux. If you were here in 'Europe' then I would say go SuSE/Novell 'root', but things may be different in the UK as regards to how widespread Red Hat is.

Just wanted to add that I will do the Linux+ after A+ and N+ and then go the SuSE/Novell route as this is predominant here in Switzerland and the German speaking countries. We also have 2 SuSE servers and the company plans to go to Linux in the next couple of years.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I know a few people with the RHCE and i must say, not one of them uses Red Hat

it is a recognised cert (way more than the suse/novell ones) as its alot more mature, it doesnt mean you have to use RedHat, it means you understand it, and hence most linux distros (there are minor differences)
    id say if you have the time and money, go for it :)

but like nug says, try Lin+ first and get a feel for it
    Good luck though mate, and definatly keep an eye open on those suse/novell ones, they may just pick up speed

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That's why I mentioned it. I think if SuSE were left to themselves they wouldn't get much further than they are now. But with being taken over by Novell it has put them into the big league and I think it's the one to watch out for.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Thanks guys. I'll have a look at what the 'Enterprise' editions offer, I guess it must just be bundled software and support or the ability to manage more processors or such like.

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange